Author Topic: Christmas - what is the point?  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
Christmas - what is the point?
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »
I've been thinking about Christmas and the "festive season" for a few weeks now. 

We aren't going to the Netherlands so will spend the day with just the two of us, which will be nice and quiet (just what I need right now).

However when I think about Christmas, it makes me feel very sad. 

It's not about being lonely - I've got everyone on here on Christmas day. (No doubt bf will be gaming as usual so not really "with" me). I don't think it's cos I'll miss my sister. It's just the actual season.

I used to think it was because of leaving one year and starting a brand new year and nothing much having changed.

This year there have been changes. A lot of them. New job for bf. New job for me. Pregnancies. Miscarriages. Various family issues. Mental health problems getting worse.

But none of that, other than job obviously, is positive to move forward with. So all i'm taking to 2014 is going to be the fact I have a new job. and that's all i achieved for 2013.

So many people on here are in far worse situations than me, I understand that. I don't know what im looking for with posting - but I am constantly getting asked "are you looking forward to Christmas"

well .... no. no i'm not. adverts make me cry. shopping for it makes me want to cry. fake smiling happy face I put on also makes me want to cry.

What is the point of Christmas??

Offline caspers smudj

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • dont follow me, im lost too!!!
    • reaching out together
Re: Christmas - what is the point?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »
well as a christian i have my own views of what christmas is about
but i can see what you are saying hunni
it can be such a lonely time even with people around you
maybe you can make a list for 2014 of things you might want to try to achieve - give yourself small targets
that way they will feel achevable
xxx
visit is at
https://www.reachingouttogether.proboards.com/
all visitors will be welcomed!!

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Whatever the point of it is, it is an excuse to bake cakes for Admin   :whistler:
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
Is it Christmas that makes you feel unhappy or New Year?

For me, it's New Year. I've always hated it and probably always will. I have the same mentality as you about not achieving anything. This year has been great for me, and also the worst I've ever had. I will be busy hiding at New Year.

Christmas itself is a nice time though to relax, pig out and stay in your jim-jams all day  ;D
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Aj

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »
Like Caspar, I have my faith but even then I think I understand what you're saying.

I don't like the fact that you're 'supposed' to be happy just because of this particular time of year and I mourn the days when I did feel that way.

Hope it helps to know you're not the only one feeling bah humbug  :hug2:

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:57:55 PM »
I had the same feelings about new year last year... so I saw on FB an idea about making a jar and getting post it notes and writing positive things that have happened on them and folding them up and putting them in the jar... in the big scheme of things, things haven't changed alot for me either this year, but I have a massive jar full of positive things (I can't even remember what they are!!) ... they are things like "I made a great steak" or "I finally posted that letter" etc etc.. nothing major, just little positive things that get you through each day...

I'm really looking forward to opening that jar on new years eve and re-living those little moments that I've forgotten about...

sorry if that's no help, or not what you meant...xxx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »
I really like that idea Jewel  :thumbsup:
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:12:02 PM »
I completely understand where you're coming from. I find it the same. I guess for me I try to hold on to the (few) positives in my life and to be grateful for those.
Jewel, the idea is awesome

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
Thank you all for replying.

I think that the jar idea sounds like a great idea.  :)

I've joined a gym (or will do when I have new trainers) so I think I'll focus on that over Christmas.

split

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »
Christmas sucks. You cant escape it. Me and my gf are having anti-xmas. A lunch of posh pizza and dorritos with krispy kreme for dessert. She is working in the morning. I have avioded xmas in the traditional sence since I was 15. I worked most of them until I was sick and had no job. It is just another day, although I did used to get triple time. I dont buy presents except for kids. I am estranged from family so I dont have that to miss. The only thing I would happily change about christmas is stop everyone putting up decorations and shoving it my face. Other faiths dont and very few celebrate Christmas purely the religious background. Those who go to church still come home to a pagan tree and presents that the money would have been better given to charity.

I could go on for ever b!tching about the holidays... but I shall cut my rant short before I make more people into bitter scrouges like me.