Author Topic: Clozapine (clozaril)  (Read 7873 times)

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
Clozapine (clozaril)
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »
Hey  :wave:

Just found out that the HTT psych is having a meeting with my CMHT psych to discuss my medication. I'm currently on the AP injection Risperdal Consta, but my social worker said that they are discussing whether to change it to Clozaril. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this drug? I would most probably have it by injection as I'm not good at taking tablets. I might not be prescribed it, but wanted to have as much information as possible just in case.

Thanks  :cake:
xx
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline brighteyes

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • to die would be the next great adventure
Re: Clozapine (clozaril)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »
Hey I'm on this injection, I was on it orally but had to take 3x a day so they changed it to injection, I've found it I had a few side effects at first headaches sweating etc but that was oral, I've been on injection of it about 2days n the only side effect I had was tiredness but that's passed now n actually doing a lot better. When I was on it orally had to keep having my bloods done to check the levels but other than that no drama. Sorry if no help good luck xx
behind closed doors, all is not what it seems,
you only have to realise with one look at me.
to see things that you didnt first see,
like the person i once was-i use to be.
behind closed doors is where it will remain,
now her sanity is gone she is no longer sane.

last od 5/11/11

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »
Thanks brighteyes, that is helpful. Thought you might need blood tests on it but wasn't sure. Will let you know what the psychs decide.
xx
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline brighteyes

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • to die would be the next great adventure
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:06:29 PM »
Glad it helped :hug1: yeah they have to do regular blood checks to make sure your levels are ok, hope it goes ok with pysch xx
behind closed doors, all is not what it seems,
you only have to realise with one look at me.
to see things that you didnt first see,
like the person i once was-i use to be.
behind closed doors is where it will remain,
now her sanity is gone she is no longer sane.

last od 5/11/11

Offline Mocha

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »
Clozapine isn't available at the moment in injection form according to bnf.it can cause such strong reactions in people they use tablets or liquid extremely cautiously. The side effectsare quite different to other newer antipsychotics as not know for weight gain and the shakes etc as much but can cause some severe reactions.

The regime to start it is very gradual and carefully monitored, have seen it started in the community very rarely but usually we ask people to come into hospital or a few days as it requires VERY regular physical obs to be done and many blood tests! Once started the amount of blood tests and checks does reduce but there are a few restrictions on it suh as without regular blood test results the pharmacy can't dispense.

I've seen some amazing results from this drug as it can help positive and negative symptoms-especially hallucinations/fixed ideas giving people a real quality of life back.

Have a look on the mind website. Is useful/

If taking them regularly is an issue with clozapine it's harder as if you miss so many doses then you hae to discontinue and start again!
Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons :)

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »
One of my friends sons has just started this medication after a new diagnosis and stay in hospital, they have agreed to do a community start with him as he is living with his mum and the hospital makes him worse.
He has 2 visits from the HTT a day where they do all his obs and they call him every 2 hours to check how he is doing.
He has had blood taken everyday so far but that will reduce to weekly soon.

They also said its not in injection form and they couldnt do it injection anyway because of the way you have to take it to get a therapeutic range...

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »
Thanks for the information. My SW must have got it wrong about the injection, so thanks for clearing that up. I probably wouldn't go ahead with it, as I am much better on an injection. It only takes a small thing to stop me being compliant with oral meds, which leads to me going downhill rapidly. Will see what the psychs suggest anyway and take it from there.

Wouldn't really want to go back into hospital either, have only just come out. I'm currently under HTT and having 2 visits a day.

It's negative symptoms I've been suffering with, and the risperdal doesn't seem to relieve them too well, which is I think why they are talking about my meds today. The risperdal has been good for hallucinations and delusions though.

From the sounds of it I would probably prefer to stick to the risperidone, but will see what they suggest.

Thanks again xx