Author Topic: I feel too old to be doing this...am I alone?  (Read 10052 times)

Offline Tired Soul

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: I feel too old to be doing this...am I alone?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 10:26:23 PM »
You are definitely not alone, Im 31, self harm is self harm, regardless of age and there is support available for anyone regardless of age. Don't give up, keep looking until you find the right support for you  :1025: you deserve to be heard and to find a way to work through the feelings that have led you to self harm. There is hope out there and change is always possible. xx
Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

Offline In My Head

• 18+
  • Gold Member
    • Eyes Wide Awake
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 10:46:47 PM »
I agree with the the stereotype of it being teenagers who self harm being unhelpful for those of us who are a bit older. I'm 23 now, and still self harm, I've been doing it since I was 11.

I wonder if sometimes it's 'less shocking' that an adult self harms in comparison to a young person like a teenager, which is why you get the sensationalist style articles in the media about it.
In my head, you're not.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »
i'm 29 now. started at 12. long journey urgh.
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline indigo

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 07:53:36 PM »
I'm 34 and have been self harming on and off since I was 19. Much more frequently this year. I know it sounds a bit twisted, but it's comforting to know that there are older people who self harm. Like I'm not the only one.

Offline Bethany77

• First posts
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 10:37:46 PM »
I'm 30 and have self harmed since I was 9. To be honest, as a teenager I certainly didn't imagine to be still doing it at 30. It seems more acceptable for teens :(

Offline lizzie

• First posts
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »
Im in my 40's and I self harm so you are not alone. I do it because I feel bad and for a brief moment after I cut I feel relief but then I wish I hadn't done it at all because it means long sleeves for a while. I worry that people will ask questions that im not ready to answer.

Offline inmythirties

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 06:55:42 PM »
I find that the longer you self harm for the more you tend to be viewed as chronic or doing it as some form of addiction. It is a shame that the reasons for each individual injury are not seen as these can differ. The pain for me gets worse not easier. How do others cope with the dwindling of support and understanding that comes from repeat self harm into your late twenties and beyond? There is more sympathy for younger people. There is a sense we should learn more adaptive and healthier coping strategies or just *** off once 'older'.