Author Topic: Nursing and self harm  (Read 11883 times)

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
Nursing and self harm
« on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:04 AM »
Sorry I know I have a thread open already but I wondered if anyone has an experience if this...

I'm starting a nursing job soon and it's strictly "bare below the elbow" my friend said to me the other day that I'd she was a patient she would be worried that I wouldn't be able to care for her properly if I did that to myself , now I know I can self harm and still be able to care for people but has anyone else had comments like this ? My scars are fairly bad and I worry that I will be majorly judged for it . I've had jobs with short sleeves before but not a caring job where I will be getting so up close and personal with people in a way that they will probably be more inclined to notice.

I've waited months to start and feeling particularly delicate at the moment and hope that I don't have any negative comments or I might just run ...

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Nursing and self harm
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
I don't have any experience with this I'm afraid but can you use Bio Oil (or an equivalent)? Maybe put some foundation on them? I have big purple ones on my ankles and I cover them up by dabbing foundation on them.

Also, the Red Cross do camouflaging for scars, could be worth speaking to your GP and ask them to refer you - I've referred a few people.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Health-and-social-care/Independent-living/Skin-camouflage
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Fierce

• First posts
  • ...grr.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
I used to be a carer and this was a constant consideration for me, as our uniform also dictated my arms had to be bare at all times.
It's sort of unavoidable that some people will notice, and in my experience one of three things can happen, which you should prepare yourself for;
1. They may or may not have noticed, but you won't know because they say nothing. You have no way of telling if they've noticed, or what they're thinking/feeling if they have, so simply carry out your duties to the best of your ability and don't worry yourself.
2. They notice but don't understand what your scars signify - these people tend to ask "Ooh what did you do there?" or "what's all this?" It's best to have a rehearsed response ready, but what response you give is up to you.You can be as honest as you feel is appropriate.
3. They respond badly. This is a vague umbrella term for numerous responses you might get, and I'm afraid there's not much you can do to avoid all the ignorant patients. All you can do is reassure them that you know what you're doing and do your job as well as you can.

Is there a line manager or someone you can discuss this with?  :)
In my experience most people notice scars but don't mention them.

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 03:09:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My fortunately foundation and any type of cover up isn't allowed and would possibly get washed off anyway :( or I would have less of a problem.

I suppose I will just have to hope I don't get any nasty comments from staff. I suppose that would be worse.

Xx

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »
I was a nursing assistant on a medical ward in an NHS hospital for a while, so also had to strictly adhere to a bare below the elbow policy. I have significant scarring on my forearms, which I was very worried about. I decided to tell the ward sister about the scarring, so she was aware of it - she told me that I was to tell her if I had any negative comments from staff, so that made me feel a bit protected. I had very few comments, mostly neutral. A couple of patients asked what had happened, and one patient said I'd done well to come through it. One member of staff made an unhelpful comment, but she was agency and I don't think it was made maliciously - she just didn't think before she spoke!
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Fierce

• First posts
  • ...grr.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »
SH awareness is slowly getting more widespread and positive, which is good.
I would approach your immediate management and talk to them frankly about it, and explain why you're concerned. It's their job to support you, although it might be scary. :hug2:

Offline Jess

• NSHN Ontopic Support Moderator
  • Usually here
  • 99.9%
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »
I work on a hospital ward and have to be bare below elbows too, I've never really had any comments to be honest, the odd person has asked what's happened but I've just said it's a long story and then promptly scarpered off. Generally speaking nobody says anything, it'll be fine.

Offline belljar

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »
thanks so much everyone, your comments are appreciated ! my first day tomorrow so wish me luck ... Xx

Offline Jess

• NSHN Ontopic Support Moderator
  • Usually here
  • 99.9%
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
Hope it goes well, people are usually far too busy on the ward to notice things like this and as I say most people see but don't ask. Good luck!