Author Topic: In a benefits muddle...  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
In a benefits muddle...
« on: December 14, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
How do I come off housing benefit? I'm so confused.

And they stopped my council tax benefit, but I'm now a student so I need to claim exemption but I don't know how to do that either.

I didn't realise I'd be paid student finance so quickly, I was expecting to be on benefits for another month and have time to sort it. But my student loan came in today and I don't want to get into trouble  :no:

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Re: In a benefits muddle...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
Here, you just have to fill in a change of circumstances form, which you can pick up from the town hall. You could probably just phone them - it's a different number for each local authority, so you'd need to look at your council's website.

Not sure on the council tax though I'm sorry.

:hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:42:48 PM »
Okay, I can get a change of circumstances form from the benefits place on Monday, and maybe I should just go in and ask to talk to someone and take all the random paperwork I have with me.

Meep. Feel a bit overwhelmed ::)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
Is that the council benefits place? That would be the best place to go. Do take your documents with you so they can copy them and make sure you get a receipt for them.

It'll be fine. Benefits stuff is always a bit raar inducing, but really, it's OK. :hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline diamondwithaflaw

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »
Re: Council Tax student exemption. You will need to phone the authority to whom you would pay Council Tax if you were not exempt to find out their particular requirements. They may get electronic student lists from your college/uni, they may just take details, or they may ask you for a letter from college/uni showing details of your course. It's very quick to sort out so hopefully a quick call Monday will get it sorted, oh and a statement to cancel housing benefit, although if you tell them over the phone sometimes that's enough given they may already know of your change in circumstances.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:56:37 AM »
hey i just sorted my student council tax exemption stuff. I just had to go into uni student services and ask them to print out a 'council tax emeption form' and then send this away to my council at home. You might be able to request the council tax exemption document online if you have a 'student portal' thing.
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."