Author Topic: If there was a cure for autism...  (Read 27169 times)

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
Re: If there was a cure for autism...
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2022, 05:22:34 PM »
Any autistic people here doing an autism related PhD?

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2022, 12:11:57 PM »
How do y'all find routine, easy to do/manage? I wish mine was better, but black and white thinking scuppers it, a lot.

Amongst other things

Offline DizzyJay

• 18+
  • First posts
  • My other me .. Miss Pollyanna
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2022, 03:42:55 PM »
After reading many online articles/blogs etc and more books than I can count the subject has cropped up. Providing there were no risks, if there was a cure for autism would I take the tablets/have surgery/whatever?

Personally I think I would. I feel that being autistic has made living a fulfilling life as I want to live it impossible. It has messed up relationships, jobs and so many more things that I don't wish to post here. If I could cure this and no longer have to deal with this crap, I would do it.

On the other side of the debate are those who view autism almost as a gift or at least an integral part of their identity that they love having. This is baffling to me because being autistic is, at least for me, exhausting, confusing, frustrating, distressing and can be downright frightening when having sensory overload/meltdowns etc and knowing that there's no cure makes me feel truly hopeless at times.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this really, it's just something that's been on my mind lately. I figured that maybe someone here can understand a little since there seems to be quite a few people here with autism diagnoses. I suppose this is little more than a rant that I just needed to type out I guess.

You already know some of my story from my introduction Vermilion
Gosh when I think back to my early years .. how I was .. the things people related to me & termed as shyness, clumsiness, stupidity, incapability, naughtiness, oh the list goes on. I was expected to be "normal" without knowing what "normal" is  :doh: I still live with the feeling that I'm ugly & useless but I battle it, I survive, I win best as I can
I don't want to turn this into banging my own head ... but yes I know where you're at with this post. Not to mention the many job interviews I failed coz I wasn't the right person, being alone & people being like ships in my life.
By the time most of my idiosyncrasies & neurodiversities were recognised I was already on an anti depressant that is meant to manage all kinds of MH disorders. The ones I'm on now do help ....
However if there's anything I would change for me .. it's not a cure ... it's taken me a long time to love me for who I am .. well at least 70% of the time.

What I would change though is that the things which make a person differently abled are understood and accepted within the neurotypical world. I wouldn't want to be mollycoddled the way some young newly diagnosed individuals are mollycoddled. I would simply want to be understood and accepted so that I would have learnt to understand and accept myself during the years of development that matter most in any person's life. Sure it might not have changed the fact that I live with depression or the ways I was physically & sexually abused .... but maybe .. just maybe .. I'd have been better equipped to find my own voice when I was still a youngster than when I'd reached my middleage & maybe just maybe in turn I wouldn't have been through so much mental & emotional abuse from those who sort to control me, own me, abuse & then abandon me.

Sorry this might sound like an angry PLOM on my behalf ...... here & now is always easier to live with than all the "what it's". Regardless of all the 💩💩 .. I count my blessings I continue to survive .. try to thrive .. that today isn't such a great day & tomorrow is another day.
I guess all this is part of allowing myself to be known as I am within this forum?
When it ☔ survive the 🌩️ splash in a ⛲ look for a 🌈 be a 🌟 and 🕺.. 💗🫂💋

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2022, 04:08:21 PM »
~ I guess all this is part of allowing myself to be known as I am within this forum?
Seems reasonable to me  :emot-thumbsup11:
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline DizzyJay

• 18+
  • First posts
  • My other me .. Miss Pollyanna
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2022, 08:32:17 PM »
Rob .....
 :1066:
Thank you
I'm so petrified ..but it's easier to write about me in words .. it's just that afterwards I often want to delete my words ..
The one thing I hope is that I never cross any boundaries .. at times it's difficult to grasp my own personal envelope
When it ☔ survive the 🌩️ splash in a ⛲ look for a 🌈 be a 🌟 and 🕺.. 💗🫂💋

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2023, 06:53:30 PM »
Oh to be better at activities of daily living. :fryingpan:

Amongst other things

Offline lloud

• First posts
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2023, 05:23:25 PM »
Dealing with the challenges of autism can be a real struggle, and it's different for everyone. For me, the idea of a cure sounds tempting too. I've had my fair share of meltdowns and tough moments, and if there was a way to make life a bit smoother, why not? But hey, I respect those who see autism as a unique part of themselves.

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2023, 10:24:24 PM »
Sensory problems are exacerbated this time of year, too many flashing lights. Plus, my usual routines are messed up due to the break. And the shopping is a PITA, especially with delivery slots filling up. Roll.on January!

Also, driving is hard when one is as uncoordinated as I am, (I seriously have trouble figuring out left and right) and get anxiety that's so bad that I sometimes cry during lessons. Yes, I am indeed having driving lessons at age 36!

I'm so overwhelmed nowadays; I have uni work, driving lessons, trying to get back in to work again... it's made anxiety so bad that I get upset at the thought of doing even my hobbies that I love, or at least used to love, an I'm seriously considering quitting them all because I'm not enjoying them anymore, they're just causing anxiety. Still, I have no choice but to drive since the bus service is crap and I frequently get sensory overload if its too crowded. So, I must continue with the horrendously stressful and meltdown inducing driving lessons. Oh, and I pay £40 an hour for it!

So, what do I do? I procrastinate! I fell behind with my uni schedule by about 4 weeks and barely manged my assignment on time. I hate procrastination because it only makes things worse but I can't seem to stop doing it.

I'd love a properly functioning brain!  :banghead:

Rabbits are better than people

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2023, 04:09:09 PM »
Current struggles.

Taking naps, I feel I need these as I don't sleep well, in general. I think they're mostly a weekend issue as I often feel very tired around 1pm
Managing emails, signing up for things/volunteering
Pursing job applications, deciding to apply
Tidying my room as a matter of routine
Hoovering - need to do it more.
Yoga and other activities to support running e.g. foam rolling, resistance bands
Maintaining my running log (this is a written thing, I don't have Strava)
Watching Disney/Apple TV
Reading for leisure - I pretty much don't do this
Closing endless tabs on my browser

Amongst other things