Author Topic: Crying in public makes you invisible - an observation  (Read 3427 times)

Offline danceforabeat

• 18+
  • Silver Member
Crying in public makes you invisible - an observation
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, it's just an observation really...

I had a particularly bad afternoon at work (really wanted to SH because of it, but I haven't). It was so horrible that at one point this afternoon, I just said, "I have to clock out for five minutes" and literally ran out of the building. I work in the main civic centre building of a local authority and only got as far as one of the main entrances and burst into tears. I was stood crying for a few minutes near the main doors because I just couldn't help it, as embarrassing as it was. It's a busy building, so even though I was only standing there a few minutes about 10 -15 people must have walked past. And all but one person just acted like I wasn't even there. One lovely woman did come and ask if I was ok, but apologised for intruding. I quickly told her I was ok, but not to apologise as I appreciated someone checking I was ok.

I managed to pull myself together enough to go back into work, but it did make me think. What if someone was in obvious distress, how many people would even so much as ask if they're ok? In this case, really, I know I just needed to stop acting like a big baby and pull myself together, but what if someone was in that state because something bad had really happened? I don't think many people would try to help.

Offline secret past

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Re: Crying in public makes you invisible - an observation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
First of all well done for not harming even though it was a horrible day! Also, I think like you said peop,e don't want to intrude or they feel awkward so they act like nothing happening.
Hope you're ok!