Author Topic: sleep issues due to distressing memories and dreams *poss trig*  (Read 4956 times)

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help??

I know about general sleep hygiene stuff, I generally have a good, regular routine and have periods of sleeping well.

however, Recently my sleep has been very disturbed due to anxiety around trying to decide whether or not to make a disclosure (which I've now made) and very distressing dreams about things that happened to me as a kid.

this week it has escalated to the point that I am terrified of going to bed, I'm unable to sustain being in my bed for more than about 10mins and cannot calm down or sleep unless I am on the sofa watching a dvd.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas to help me to feel less scared and able to sleep in my bed? I know that things escalate very quickly for me if I'm not sleeping properly and I'm keen to avoid this.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give
Thank you all so much for your support, I really appreciate it.
Please, all keep as safe as you can.

I will be thinking of you xxxxx :hug1: :hug

Offline sandeeme

• 18+
  • Silver Member
Re: sleep issues due to distressing memories and dreams *poss trig*
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
Hi,

I struggle to sleep sometimes and I have found audiobooks really helpful. I download an audiobook onto my MP3 and then listen in bed.I find I get caught up in the story and generally drop off too sleep. My MP3 has a sleep button so it can turn itself off after a set time so I don't miss toomuch if I fall asleep. If I wake at night and start worrying etc I pick where I left off-I have 'read'some great books this way.......

Might be worth a try - good luck

:-*

Offline Nightowl

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »
Could you try sitting on the bed for short periods, say 10 minutes in the morning and evening, ask J to sit with you if that would help?

It's a kind of exposure work that I saw tried with someone I was in the TC with who couldn't sleep in her bed.
When you feel like letting go, hold on.

Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow".

Maryanne Radanbacher

Last od 22/05/2012
Last sh 10/05/2012
Last drink 14/04/2012

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »
I'll have a look at audio books thanks. The gradual exposure sounds like a good idea, will try it Thankyou Xx
Thank you all so much for your support, I really appreciate it.
Please, all keep as safe as you can.

I will be thinking of you xxxxx :hug1: :hug