Author Topic: Group therapy  (Read 5811 times)

Bethy

Group therapy
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »
How have people found group therapies?

Am starting a CBT one soon (for EDs but other aspects of MH will no doubt come into it too) and anxious, probably about the usual things: opening up, feeling inadequate, being triggered/triggering others.

Offline wild-n-wondaful

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
Re: Group therapy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »
ive not tried any group therapies, i was suggested some courses for things like stress and mood management but i dont feel ready for working with other people on these more personal things,

If you dont get on with it its worth asking your gp if there are any one on one courses available because that is what i have managed to get referred to

Good luck hope its helpful for you  :holdingflower:
one day every thing will make perfect sense, until then, laugh at the confusion,  smile through the tears and remember... Everything happens for a reason

everything will be OK in the end... if its not OK, then its not the end!

Offline babylady

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »
I have various experiences of group therapy, both in ED (inpatient) and BPD (community recovery support), including CBT, DBT and others.
I think that you have to remember that all therapy is hard and can be really triggering, but ultimately, you hopefully will get something positive from it, whether learning from others or others are insigtful in helping you with your own direct issues.  To get the most out of gripu therapy though, you have to engage, accept it will hurt and listen to others.  If you have anything specific to ask, I will do my best to answer.

Born Again Woman

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:15:51 PM »
I had DBT.
I managed to stop sh for a year.
DBT runs for a year with both group & individual sessions.
Everyone in the group helped support one another not only during the group sessions but also at other times.
It will be hard but if you work at it, it can assist.

:hug2:

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »
I've done group therapy. Mine was a group for general mental health issues. I had a few sessions with one of the facilitators to prepare me and to help draft a letter to read to the group in that first session. It was a completely new group that had been set up, so everyone was in the same position.

I found the group helpful at the beginning, but as time went on I found myself withdrawing more from it; having even worse thoughts of harming myself and feeling like I shouldn't be there. I know I should have brought this up with the group and that they would have talked me through it, but looking back now part of my problem is comparing myself to others and not feeling worthy of their time.

After that I returned to individual therapy (with another one of the group facilitators who I'd worked with before), which for me seemed to work better.

Sorry to go on! I guess all I'm saying is to give it a go, there will be positives, expect it to be difficult at times, but know that everyone there will be feeling the same. Above all don't feel that you're no less important than anyone else there. You've got just as much right to be heard.

Good luck  :)

Offline wendymum

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »
I did a skills group based on CBT once.  We didn't have to share our life stories or anything.  But we did share experiences of trying to put the skills into practice.  Most people seemed to find it helpful, but I just felt more of a failiure because they all seemed to be better at it than me.  Definatly worth a try though.

Offline Madeleine

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
I was supposed to be doing group therapy (recommended by my idividual psychologist) but head of dept said I was too vulnerable and wouldn't cope... didn't specify why.  :violin:

Bethy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing all your experiences guys, really appreciated. I've started it now and despite some inevitable triggers it seems pretty promising. Fingers crossed it stays that way!