Author Topic: Depot injections  (Read 5926 times)

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
Depot injections
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »
(Wasn't sure which room this should go in, so please move if necessary  :cake: )

I currently have an anti-psychotic depot injection (palperidone) once a month. Have been on this depot for about 5 months, but before that I had a risperdal consta injection every 2 weeks, which I've been on since 2011. The risperdal one I used to have in the buttock, but the palperidone one I have in my arm.

I've never been scared of needles, and usually feel no pain. I've been quite happy having a depot as I find it easier than taking oral APs and I've been pretty well since starting them.

Problem is the last few have been really painful. I find having it in my arm really sore, but apparently this one is specially designed for the arm. Since the last injection (last Weds) I haven't wanted to have any more. I'm not due one for a month, but I really don't want to have another. The pain only lasts about 3-4 days after, but I'm really fearful of having it done now.

I don't know what to do. I feel like asking for oral APs again, but I don't know if I can be trusted with them. The other option is going back to risperdal which didn't use to hurt, but I am now really fearful of the needle.

See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline secret past

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Re: Depot injections
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
I think the best thing to do would be to talk to your GP about your fears. They may have another alternative you could try or they might be able to use something to numb the area the injection goes in. You won't know what can be done unless you are open about it with your doctor.

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »
Thanks for replying secret past.

It would be my psychiatrist I'd need to talk to, as my GP has nothing to do with my psychiatric medication. I'm not due to see psych until April, so after my next depot injection is due. I am ringing my SW tomorrow to see if she can see me sometime this week, so I will talk to her about it and I expect she will feed back to psych.

I really feel that I want to go back to oral APs, but I know that won't go down well with anyone (psych, SW, my mum..). I also don't know whether I could trust myself to take them. I'd like to think I would, but have stopped taking them in the past and become unwell.

I'm fed up of having painful injections though...
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline secret past

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:47:12 PM »
Can you request an extra appointment with your psych? Or perhaps phone them to ask about it? Just seems to me that you shouldn't try to make a decision about what to do, or face the fear, on your own.

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
I will talk to SW and ask her advice tomorrow, and I'm also seeing psychologist so will talk to him too. SW would be able to arrange an appointment with psych if needed.

Thanks xx

Offline secret past

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
No problem, I hope a simple solution can be found!  :)

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »
Im on the depot, and have it in my backside. It doesn't hurt at all.

I would go back to the one you have in your buttock as that is kinder.

Hash