Author Topic: Quetiapine/Seroquel XL & other AP's  (Read 7867 times)

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
Quetiapine/Seroquel XL & other AP's
« on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
I've been taking Quetiapine (believe it's the immediate release) for just over a year now and the side effects are severely impacting my day to day life, mostly daytime drowsiness, slurred speech, poor concentration and affected memory.

While doing some research I saw that there's the XL version of it which is a prolonged release, but I only saw it mentioned on American forums. Does anyone know if it's available over here in the UK or has anyone else taken it? From what I can see all the people that wrote about it said they had no day time drowsiness and few side effects.

Also, please feel free to tell me about other AP's that are available. I've tried Aripiprazole and Olanzapine and didn't get on with either and my boyfriend and I are going to do some research into other medications to try and help and be armed with when I see my psych.

Thanks guys :holdingflower:
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Re: Quetiapine/Seroquel XL & other AP's
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
Pretty sure that you can the prolonged release in this country. I've never taken it though, I'm sorry.

I take amisulpride. If anything, it keeps me awake more than it sends me to sleep. I was very sedated with olanzapine, and put on a lot of weight. I've lost weight on this drug and am much more alert. Different for everyone, but works for me. :)
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
Thanks for your reply Terri x

I need something that is going to make me a bit sleepy as I have trouble falling asleep and before the Quetiapine I was having to take regular Zopiclone, but the daytime drowsiness I have right now is just too much. I gained loads of weight on Olanzapine as well and it didn't stop any of my psychotic symptoms so I had it changed to the Que. Aripiprazole gave me severe akathisia.

Read a bit about Clozapine, seems effective but read that you have to have weekly bloods for the first 6 months and monitoring, needles are yucky and I hate having blood taken so don't think that would work for me.

Just want to find an effective AP that's not going to make me feel like a zombie all the time. I shouldn't be in bed by 9pm at 24!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:00:23 PM by Sian-May »

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »
Just checked (in BNF - I'm not weird, I'm doing a course...) and you can get Seroquel XL over here. At a guess, because it only comes as brand and not generic in that form, doctors are less likely to prescribe it as first line because of the price. If your psychiatrist agrees that there's a clinical need for it though, he should consider prescribing it.

I'm not 100%, but from what I've heard, clozapine is also pretty sedating as well as having weight gain (similar to olanzapine) side effects and the need for regular bloods, especially to start with. It is a very effective drug, but kind of a last line because of the implications of taking it.

I wish I knew what to suggest. There are a lot of APs out there, both typical (older type) and atypical (newer ones.) It all depends exactly what is being treated though - which symptoms are being targeted. Would it be worth speaking to a MH pharmacist? They might be able to come up with some suggestions and your trust should have one.

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »
Don't know why I didn't look in the BNF! I work in a doctors haha :doh: Thanks for looking it up for me. Had a quick go at prescribing it for a test patient and Seroquel XL is there so it definitely can be prescribed. The prices are the same as well as far as I can see on our system. I think I'll definitely bring it up when I see my psych.

I don't know any MH pharmacists but I could maybe see my GP, he's a Partner and worked in psychiatry I think he said so he might have some suggestions for me. I'll speak to A and see what he thinks.

I appreciate your suggestions and advice x

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
Hey, I've been on the XL version... I found it good... The only problem was my psychiatrist prescribed it then the gp refused to prescribe it because it wasn't on their list of accepted drugs or something .. Might have been to do with cost... It took a lot of going back and forth before they sorted it out...

I take risperidone but it's not sedating at all.. I'm on the depot version but I've been on the tablets as well and I took them in the morning so definitely no sedation...

Goodluck in your search...
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »
Thanks. I might speak to the Partner here at work when he comes in about the XL version because he knows I'm on Quetiapine, see what he says about it. It looks like we can prescribe it, it comes up and you can select it. I looked up prices wrong, there is actually a big difference in the prices.

I wouldn't be able to have a depot because of it being an injection, I'm really bad with needles and am often sick before having any form of needle near me. Thank you for replying hun xx
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:37:23 PM by Sian-May »

Offline Mike

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
A few stupid questions.....What is XL version? Can anyone log on to BNF without paying the huge amounts?

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
XL is a prolonged release version, meaning the medication is formulated in a way that, when taken, releases in the body over a longer period of time than the standard version. It's an option that's available for quite a few drugs.

Unfortunately, the BNF isn't a free service and there isn't a way of logging on without paying. I'm lucky that my workplace gave me one (you can also get paper copies) as they release updates every few months, so there's usually a spare one hanging around.

Offline Mike

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »
Thanks Terri, much appreciated!