Author Topic: Akathisia  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
Akathisia
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »
Does anyone else suffer from akathisia? How do you cope with it? I think my Risperidone is causing it. If I sit still for too long or don't move enough I feel ill, like I'm about to collapse. It's giving me a lot of anxiety as well because I'm very aware of how much I'm fidgeting, had to take Lorazepam today to try and calm me down. My dad noticed how fidgety I and anxious I got.

I've read that some people take medication to counteract it, like Propranolol or other beta-blockers, does anyone have any experience of this or take anything to stop the effects of akathisia?

I had it before on Aripiprazole and had to stop it, this is my 4th AP and would rather not have to switch again so trying to find ways of helping it. I'd like to be armed with some information when I speak to my psych tomorrow.

Thanks guys x
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline faithful

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • It's never too late to be who you might have been
Re: Akathisia
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 11:15:18 AM »
I've not got any solutions to this,but I recently started flupentixol decanoate depot injection and it's causing me to have this and it's infuriating.
Quetiapine caused it too but milder. This is the worst I've had it

I hope you're doing well
:hug1: x
Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:41:50 AM »
I've had it with most of the APs I've had. I'm lucky I don't get it with my depot. Several years ago I had it really bad when taking depixol and I was prescribed a drug called procyclidone. I think it's an anti Parkinson's drug. This was quite a while ago (maybe 10yrs ago). I don't know if they still prescribe it. Last time I had similar problems all I was told by the Dr was to drink tonic water because the quinine in it is good for restless legs and cramps xx
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline faithful

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • It's never too late to be who you might have been
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »
I might try tonic water, thanks! :)
I doubt my psych will prescribe me anything for side effects and I don't see him till April anyway. I can try tonic water though :) x
Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:00:49 AM »
have you tried things that will help you to feel more comfortable being still?

I recently made a weighted blanket...it is kind of helpful if I can't stop moving (although not in the way you describe - more in an anxious way). Weight is used in the same way for lots of different conditions and a quick google search seems to suggest that some people have found them helpful for akathisia.

(online) Shops tend to be really expensive but they are simple to make and can be changed to individual needs. It might be worth looking at how weight makes you feel first...maybe slot a couple of kg bags of rice into a pillow case and sit with that.

not sure if it will be helpful or not, but might be worth trying
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”