Author Topic: Deciding whether to date someone? *Mentions SH and SUI*  (Read 6298 times)

Offline PrettyLittleLie

• 18+
  • Usually here
Deciding whether to date someone? *Mentions SH and SUI*
« on: July 29, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
Hi- basically this guy who is one of my close friends asked me out last night... I have always told myself I wouldn't date until I was stable but I do like him quite a bit... I just don't know if it is unfair to him to put him through all my issues with the self harm and suicide... I told him about it this morning, and he said he didn't mind and he wants to look after me and help me through it, and he has been really sweet about it all.... so now I am left with this dilemma.... I do like him- he is an individual who isn't afraid to be himself which is good for me I think, I am just worried- maybe its my anxiety playing up as I am changing medication at the moment but the thought of it panicks me.

He is a bit of a musician, with long hair and he does smoke (though he is trying to stop), so I don't really know if my parents will approve of him... he is one of those people that you have to get to know... I don't know if I can put up with the tension between my parents and I if they don't approve and I don't think they think I am stable enough to do anything at the moment really.

And then I might be going to uni at the end of September, 4 hours away; this guy says it doesn't bother him and he thinks we can make it work but I have never been in a proper relationship before let alone a long distance one.

I just don't know whether to give it a go or not? I don't know whether I can take anymore stress from my parents and I don't know if it is fair on him to drag him into my mess... I don't want to go out a few times and then hurt him- that wouldn't be fair...

I really don't know, I am so confused, my mental health issues just seem to complicate the whole situation...
- Ellie

Offline jackgrillo

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Totally King of Rainbow!
Re: Deciding whether to date someone? *Mentions SH and SUI*
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
It's a tricky one.

I think it's very sensible to decide that you don't want to date until you're stable, but then who decides that you're stable enough to date?

If you've told him about the Mental Health stuff, then that's certainly a step in the right direction. If he's fine with that, then that's good. I don't mean to make him sound bad, or anything, but he might not know exactly what to expect, so he might have more of a problem dealing with it than he thinks he will. That's the kind of thing that you can only find out by giving it a go though.

I don't think that deciding who to date by who you think your parents would approve of is the right way to go about things. I'm sure if your parents see that he makes you happy, then they will come round to him. Especially as they get to know him.

It may be that being in a relationship will be positive for your Mental Health anyway. Certainly I've found that I'm generally better when I'm in a relationship, as it gives me something happy, and something good to concentrate on :)

One thing I would say, though, is that if you want the relationship to work, then you need to be honest with him about how you're feeling. So if you're feeling really rubbish, then don't pretend to be ok to him. He'll be able to sense that you're not ok, and it'll lead to trust issues. It's much better to say "Yeah, I'm feeling rubbish at the moment, so I'd rather not see you" than to make excuses about why you don't want to see him.

Good luck either way :)
:13328: <-- gregory
:13328: <-- that one was given to me by chihiro

I like walking in the rain because then nobody can see me cry

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »
I'd totally agree with what Jack said. On the point about long distance relationship, i was with my bf for a year with him living in a different country, before he moved over here in November 2010  to live with me.

yes it's hard, not going to lie, but it's satisfying. xx xx it CAN be done xx xx

Bethy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
Just looking at it from another perspective, could you possibly be looking ahead sooner than is necessary? If you like him, and you want to, then you could go on a date with him, regardless of whatever else. Then take it from there.

Of course you don't want to hurt him (or yourself) but it's possible after dating, *if* it didn't work out then that'd hurt him less than launching into it convinced it's for the long haul, only to then find out it won't work.

Best of luck

Offline PrettyLittleLie

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:32:55 PM »
Thanks everyone... he met my parents a few nights ago at the pub and they took to him more than I thought... I went on a date with him today and it was actually really nice :-) I guess I will just go with it and see what happens for now- I am going to give it a go like you all suggested :-)
- Ellie

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
I just want to wish you loads of luck  :)   He sounds lovely to me!!

Also if it offers you any re-assurance at all my boyfriend and I spent a year apart while I studied for my Masters, but he came to visit every weekend and we survived the distance, and now two years on were just looking for our first home together (and he has agreed to move with me while i continue my postgrad studies) xxx
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."