Author Topic: How would YOU like to be treated on a s136? Help n ideas needed!  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Savannah

• 18+
  • Always here
I have been approached by @mentalhealthcop n asked if I can write a blog (or something) to advise police n NHS on how us as MH sufferers would like to be *dealt with* by the police n NHS when detained on a s135 or 136. He's written lots on how the police/NHS should deal with us (legal stuff, rights etc) but there's nothing on how WE would like to be treated. This is where I need YOUR help.

I've only thought of things like be calming, gentle n explain everything when doing strip searches, use tracksuits not boiler suits when they take our clothes off us, don't remove glasses if we're hallucinating etc, don't be rough when handling us (could be triggering), if paranoid/psychotic n not *living in reality* although you can't agree with us do not argue with us as it can make it worse

Can you guys think of anything? What would you like to say to the police or NHS if you could? It is totally annonymous!

:icon_arrow: hope this is ok here Mods n doesn't break rules :cake:
Last SH - 15/05/10
Last OD - 21/02/10
Last Sui - 04/05/10

Offline catapult

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: How would YOU like to be treated on a s136? Help n ideas needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
Id say they could do a little revision on health records, so they have some idea of the emotional issue present with said person. Speaking from personal experience, i needed reassurance, i wanted to be told that i was safe, and would continue to be safe and have things explained to me calmly, and quietly. Dealing with police especially can be frightening, i think just using gentle tones and explaining things clearly would be really worthwile. Grounding almost. With nhs staff, my experiences are mainly positive, ive met some lovely staff over the years, but what i remember more are the ones who didnt ask ME questions, about me, or how i felt. Again, i think an explanation of what was happening, and reassurance that i was safe, would really have been good to hear at these times.

So i guess its the approach that needs work. An open mind from police and nhs staff. That i may be acting like a drug crazed lunatic who seems volatile, erratic and senseless, but im actually suffering from severe emotional distress, to the point my pain has distorted my world beyond recognition, so i dont know where i am or what im doing, and i just need someone to tell me im safe, and that im going to be okay.

I look forward to reading other responses, this is a great thing to be looking into  :)
Last cut: 10/03/14
Last OD: 20/12/13
Last purge: 01/03/14
Id rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

NHS Direct 0845 4647   Samaritans 08457 909090 - Text Sams 07725909090

Offline Savannah

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
That's great thanks. Let's hope between us all we can drop enough massive hints to help improve s136 treatment.
Last SH - 15/05/10
Last OD - 21/02/10
Last Sui - 04/05/10

Offline tellingstories

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »
I saw a girl being stopped by police in town once. Whether she was right off it or mentally ill I don't know, but something was wrong. Anyway, the male policemen restrained her. I know that if I were knelt on and rendered unable to move by a man (or woman probably) I'd go off my head. This girl was too, going absolutely hysterical. Even seeing it was awful. Y'know, triggering and that.
A woman who writes feels too much,
those trances and portents!
As if cycles and children and islands
weren't enough; as if mourners and gossips
and vegetables were never enough.
She thinks she can warn the stars.

Offline Savannah

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:46:22 AM »
Thanks TS. I will pass that on
Last SH - 15/05/10
Last OD - 21/02/10
Last Sui - 04/05/10

Offline Nightowl

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »
My experiences with the police have not been bad but I thought I'd say what they did that made it that way.

When I was taken to hospital in a van a female officer sat in the back with me.

I was told I wasn't in any trouble and hadn't done anything wrong, that they were intervening because people were worried about me and cared about me.

Ambulance staff have also been very reassuring and last time I was taken I had an ECG and physical checks at A & E as my heart was racing and my temp was low.

When I've been waiting in A & E to see the psych and SW the nursing staff have made me drinks and fed me.
When you feel like letting go, hold on.

Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow".

Maryanne Radanbacher

Last od 22/05/2012
Last sh 10/05/2012
Last drink 14/04/2012

Offline Savannah

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »
It's good to hear when folks get things right too. Glad the could help you night owl
Last SH - 15/05/10
Last OD - 21/02/10
Last Sui - 04/05/10