Author Topic: Coming off of Depakote.  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Coming off of Depakote.
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:47 PM »
After a discussion with my social worker, I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in March to discuss coming off of Depakote. The doctor I saw when I was in hospital told me I was on it for agitation, but everything I've read says it's a mood stabiliser used for people with Bipolar. I am not Bipolar and I don't get mood swings, so kind of resent taking it. March seems a long way off and I don't want to stay taking a potentially unnecessary medication. I will have to wait though, as I have come off prescribed drugs without advice before and the consequences were pretty dire.

Also, I guess, as much as I don't want to take it, coming off it worries me slightly as I'm really doing quite well at the moment. I don't want to rock the boat by changing anything. I guess that's a worry I can discuss with the doctor.

Does anyone have any experience of coming off of this med? Is anyone else on it for agitation?
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline sparkledust

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • when you wish upon a star.........
Re: Coming off of Depakote.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »

i was on it for agitation and mood stabilizer didnt have much of a prob coming off it as it didnt do what it was meant to do in the first place xx

hope it goes well with the psych xx
[img width=250 height=52]
there is no such thing as strangers,simply friends waiting to meet

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Re: Coming off of Depakote.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:52:53 AM »
Thanks Starry. :hug2:

I've (stupidly, probably) done lots of Googling and found that they prescribe it for agitation in people with dementia. I don't have dementia. Bleurgh.

I'm was agitated in hospital, I guess, but there were reasons. Now there's no reason to be agitated, so I should be fine without it, right? I wish I could see into the future and know what I'd be like without it. ::)
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.