Author Topic: A&E  (Read 4319 times)

Offline katj

• 18+
  • Gold Member
A&E
« on: December 16, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »
If you go to A&E do you have to give your name and all your personal details? Can they refuse to treat you if you don't want to disclose?

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: A&E
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »
They will ask you to give your name, but I don't know if they can refuse to treat you if you don't give it.

Is there a reason that you don't want to disclose your name? It can be helpful to them in terms of history etc, they also then notify GPs etc if there are things they need to do - like dressing changes or suture removal. 
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline katj

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
Thanx for replying. I didn't go in the end, I managed to steristrip. I don't want them to know my history - I have moved and im working part time in a school and I don't want one slip up to mess up all the progress ive made and I don't want to end up back in the system.

Offline inmythirties

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »
Any attendance at A&E would be confidential. I have been to A&E quite often and my employer doesn't need to know (though it has happened during work hours that I have been sent by my GP in which case I've had to explain). I know though that the scrutiny may be greater in a school. Mental health services don't get involved if you attend A&E. While there are psychiatric liaison teams there you are not required to see them and as long as you have capacity you can refuse. The mental health system won't see/treat me at all now and the A&E staff are decent. But it's better if you can self treat and avoid the ordeal of attending A&E and getting stitches.