Author Topic: If there was a cure for autism...  (Read 27094 times)

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: If there was a cure for autism...
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
Oh, I understand that it's a broad spectrum and no programme can be expected to get that right. I've just got so frustrated with so many of them always using the most extreme cases. Not necessarily autism but any sort of issue. I've seen programmes about say, tourettes and it's always the ones who shout and swear constantly rather than those who have relatively minor symptoms. This sort of bull**** has lead to so much stigma and misunderstanding; when I tell others that I have autism they either don't believe me or those that do expect me to have some sort of savant ability which is actually very rare and generally only those on the so-called low functioning end of the spectrum would have it, even medical professionals make assumptions like this. It's really pissing me off and I'm sick of explaining things to others who watch these types of programmes and think that they know it all.

Mind, I'm not exactly feeling happy go lucky at the moment so maybe I'm just pissed off in general.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2020, 06:18:37 PM »
My new psychiatrist conveniently forgets I am able to communicate for myself because it takes longer and choses to communicate with my partner most of the time instead. If I'm really low or manic I get that and I don't really mind at those times but the rest of the time it's really messed up. I feel like a lot of us fall into the neurotypical brackets of both "too autistic" and "not autistic enough"
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
Just in case anyone has heard, there is a connection between ASD and eating disorders, mostly anorexia nervosa. https://www.health.org.uk/improvement-project/pathway-for-eating-disorders-and-autism-developed-from-clinical-experience

As with all these things, however, we don't know enough of why they're related.

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist

Amongst other things

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2020, 03:54:50 PM »
Anyone else find that their black and white thinking gets worse when their MH is bad?

Amongst other things

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »
I find that pretty much every single thing that I struggle with gets worse if my MH is bad. I suppose that MH makes everyone harder on themselves irrespective of whether they have autism or not? I think that many people with MH get into a all good or all bad way of thinking.
 I can't figure out which way around it is though; is my MH exacerbating autism symptoms or is my autism exacerbating my MH? Perhaps the point is moot. Does it matter what is causing what?
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2020, 01:41:16 AM »
I find that I am more noticeably autistic in lots of ways when my mental heath isn't great. But my mental heath is also affected by autism related things - sensory overload for sure, but other things too. I agree with Vermilion, because it's all brain related it's hard to make separations. But I tend to did the opposite true also. If I give myself some leeway autism wise my mental health tends to be better.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2020, 11:06:13 PM »
Interesting podcast on BBC sounds - 1800 seconds on Autism. It's kind of a comforty thing - other people do this, I'm not that weird...hey that's a cool idea etc.