Author Topic: Food diary  (Read 4491 times)

Offline BA

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Mission One
Food diary
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:22:36 AM »
Has anyone kept a food diary? I don't mean for counting calories, etc, but for changing certain eating habits in a constructive way. I'm not looking to reach a target weight, but I need to address my sweet tooth which is bad and basically on autopilot. I can't use a microwave at work because they don't allow hot food outside of the canteen (food there can be hit and miss), and the nearest shops are a 10-15 minute walk both ways, and not always practical due to weather or time. I bring in lunch (sandwich) and some fruit, but it's hard not to snack as I have breakfast at about 6:25am, and get home usually 6:45-7:30pm. As said, outside of the canteen there is basically nothing on site other than vending machines and hot drinks. I keep some seeds in my desk drawer, but I don't think I can keep food there all the time.

I need to address chocolate and biscuits - thinking that might be a place to start. It will be hard, I'm sure. I have been thinking of keeping a notebook or log of what I eat. My mother has a big birthday soon, so it will be hard not to indulge!
Strength, courage and wisdom.

Offline Thrin

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • <blank page>
Re: Food diary
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
I kept one when I started getting migraines to help me identify any foods that might be setting them off. They can be quite a useful tool as you start to really pay attention to what you're eating, and it can help you identify more easily anywhere you're over/under indulging.
And this is not my face
And this is not my life
And there is not a single thing here
I can recognise

Offline BA

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Mission One
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »
Thanks both.

Well, a few days on and I've been successful in that I haven't had any biscuits/chocolate/crisps. Less successful in that I haven't written any of this down bar info from day one. So, it's all been willpower rather than structure or organisation.

In the main, I feel better for it. Could be coincidental, but I felt better in the morning and didn't feel as hungry between breakfast and lunch (pumpkin seeds and fruit might help there). It was difficult to begin with because of the cravings. I have eaten a lot of fruit particularly in the past few years, so that is helpful, but it can only go so far between meals. I need to do more research. This isn't a health kick or cleanse, or a diet. If it were I'd be setting out some sort of menu and reviewing nutritional info and I'm not. It is tempting to pack it all in, though. If I do, maybe it's the timing during the day that I have the chocolate/junk that's the problem. Or I could try something like zero chocolate one week per month.

Offline Thrin

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • <blank page>
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:01:43 AM »
I have 'treat day' (usually Friday) where I'm allowed one meal of whatever I like and one choccie bar. The rest of the week it's no chocolate and healthy food only. It's probably not the most effective way of doing things but it works for me, I find it easier to head off a craving if I know in the not too distant future I can give in.

You could also try drinking water when you're tempted to snack, apparently we often confuse being thirsty with being hungry.
And this is not my face
And this is not my life
And there is not a single thing here
I can recognise

Offline BA

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Mission One
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
Good idea.

I drink a lot of water anyway as I don't drink tea/coffee and generally avoid soft drinks.