Author Topic: change of brand/type of meds  (Read 4587 times)

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
change of brand/type of meds
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »
I think I posted a question ages ago once about feeling that my meds were having less effect when I was given a different brand. I raised it with my gp at the time and my concerns were completely dismissed. The issue I have now is that my most recent prescription of mirtazapine has come as tablets to swallow with water instead of the dissolve in the mouth type I have been taking for about 18 months. They are not helping me get to sleep as my usual ones do, which makes sense as they presumably take more time to get absorbed, but I have been feeling like a complete zombie during the day and wonder if this is down to the new tablets. Does anyone have any experience of this? Will it settle down?

I don't want to talk to my GP about it because he is really dismissive and makes me feel stupid. I don't want to bother my cpn as I am not having regular appointments just now and I am waiting for him to send me an appointment so if he had time for me he would be in touch.

I just feel really rubbish and wish they wouldn't mess with my meds.

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: change of brand/type of meds
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »
I haven't had this with psyche meds though I did have problems when they changed certain other medication I was taking. If you're not happy with the new ones you could try asking the pharmacist. That's what I did and she gave me my preferred ones and I didn't have to see the doctor. If they are not 100% certain they may ask the doctor themselves without you having to make an appointment.  Might be worth a try if you don't want to go to your gp.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:37:30 PM »
Sometimes it's also down to the prescription not stipulating in what form they are presented. As CV has said, talk to your pharmacist first, and if it's going to be a repeat script, it should be written on it.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »
I have personal experience of the dissolvable tablets vs the normal ones and I def noticed the dissolvable ones made me sleep better...

It may be a case of taking the normal ones earlier, but def don't drink after you've taken them I used to get terrible vertigo ...

I would say speak to your gp but I know you don't won't to, it's probably a mistake on your prescription .. As the others have said, speak to your pharmacist first... It's not right that your gp should be dismissive as these things can have a real impact...
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 07:52:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can't deal with a pharmacist because there are none nearby so our gp surgery dispenses prescriptions. I have noticed that they react badly with alcohol which is just great with Christmas coming. I just don't know if I can face calling the surgery about it. :hide:

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 09:39:35 PM »
Is it not a pharmacist who gives out te prescriptions in the GP dispensary too? Even if not could you ask to speak to the people who dispense the drugs and ask them anyway?
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »
Thankyou. I'm halfway through the box now, less zombified by day but still not sleeping well. I am going to try raise it when I phone up for my repeat prescription. Not sure if I should speak to the dispensary people myself or ask my cpn to do it. I might email my cpn.