Author Topic: I've accepted my scars but my family can't  (Read 6758 times)

Offline RawRR234

• First posts
I've accepted my scars but my family can't
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
Every morning I get up and put on a pair of leggings and a long sleeved top no matter what the weather. I do this because my mother and sister can't yet cope with seeing my scars exposed despite the fact that my visible scars are all at least 2 years old. These days I hide my SH better but still when I wear a pretty dress I can't get my legs out because of the pain in my mothers eyes when she sees the scars. Whenever my forearms or legs are exposed there's an awkwardness in the room, neither my mother or sister can look me in the eye and they stare at my legs like i've got 8 of them. How do you cope with your family's reactions to your scars? At this point im comfortable enough in my own skin to not care if i'm just running to the bathroom or grabbing a glass of water but yet before I leave my room I still put on the leggings and the long sleeved top because I cant bear the hurt in my family's eyes. Is there anyway to make it okay for them to see my scars? Is there anyway to lessen the hurt they experience everytime they see my legs?

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: I've accepted my scars but my family can't
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
 :wave:

Have you tried using any concealer/camouflage products until they get more used to things? The scars should becoming less noticeable with time anyway, but some folks take longer to get used to seeing them. There might be some ideas in the section on scars in the reference part that might help.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »
That sounds really tough. My parents seem to be okay with my scars (both my arms are scarred quite badly) and my sister is fab, she never stares at them and has helped me a lot. However going out in the summer is tough. Being stared at is horrible. I'm sorry you feel you have to cover your scars. I was thinking about maybe pulling your leggings up slowly day by day to kind of let your mum gradually see your scars? It's horrible thinking that you've hurt your family by hurting yourself, and I completely understand. I hope you get some better answers than mine on this topic!  :hug1:

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
I dont show my scars to anyone, but I work with someone who doesn't hide hers. She generally ignores people's comments. Maybe they will just get used to then if they see them more often. I know ive found that with previos partners, they get used to it.

Can you talk to them about it?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »
My worst scars are my ankles. They're big, thick and a red/purple kind of colour. Some have dots from stitches too. I try to keep them covered up as much as I can but sometimes when I roll my trousers up to tie shoes or something, my dad and sister usually stare at them and I see the same kind of look in their eyes as you've described.

The best thing to do it use Bio Oil. I used it on my arm and it's great. You have to be patient, use it several times a day for quite a while but they will eventually fade. It's quicker than leaving them to fade on their own.

I'm comfortable with my skin and my scars but I tend to put foundation on them when around other people or if I'm wearing a dress/skirt out and about.
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline purplefiona

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • another day
    • Jewellery site
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
I have had tattoos over the top of some of my scars. The scars without tattoos on them, only my husband sees. I see the same look in his eye; it IS hard for others to accept. I would say the key is talking and perhaps try to do a stage at a time; introduce bare arms before bare legs etc. Would it help or even be appropriate for you to allow a close family member to help apply bio oil, just to forearms perhaps? Touch can reassure the person touching (in some cases) but of course can bring up boundary issues for you etc. Good luck. Communication is key.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."