Author Topic: CBT or DBT? what's the difference and any advice on which works better?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline still

• Standard Member
  • Bronze Member

Happy New Year Everyone!

With the New Year I'm hoping to take a fresh bash at getting my feelings about SH under control. I sought professional help for the first time in 10 years a few months ago and was recommended a course of group behavioral development therapy, however I found it really unhelpful and triggering. I don't want to go digging up the past and over-analysing it, I'd just like to look at who I am now and how to cope, improve and move forward.

I've heard of CBT and DBT and they both sound similar to me, so I just wondered if any of you have experienced either or both, how you found them, what the difference is and if you would recommend either or something completely different?

Thanks for your help,

Still x

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
Re: CBT or DBT? what's the difference and any advice on which works better?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »
 Hi Still,

WEll done for getting help I am sorry you didn't find the other treatment helpful.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can still look at the past but it mainly focusses on changing behaviours in the present. I had two years of it and I stopped overdosing completely and have never overdosed since.

Dialectical Behavioural Therapy basically gives you a whole bunch of tools with which to change your behaviour and cope with life, i would say though you need to practise these over and over again and really know them for them to be effective. I did some of this DBT at the Priory both as an in patient and an out patient and I found the tools really interesting but I quickly forgot them when I wasn't in treatment.

You might want to look up Mentalisation Based therapy, that is based completely on the present  it basically focusses on Mentalising as in taking note of how one is feeling and how ones behaviour and thoughts affect other people and how others might be thinking and feeling at any one time. It's a long term treatment program.

Hash