Author Topic: Carbamazapine  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
Carbamazapine
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »
Anyone on this who can share experiences?
Only those who dare, truly live.
- Ruth P. Freedman

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Carbamazapine
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:27:22 AM »
Took it for a few months. Came off it because I messed up. Didnt go back to it but had changed psych by then. Cant really say if it was that helpful because I didn't really take it properly for long enough. But certainly no bad side effects for me. Just make sure you take it properly.

I know lots of people who take it for epilepsy and none of them seem to have problems either vut im assuming youre taking it as a mood stabiliser?
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:31 AM »
I'm not on it yet was going to suggest it to psych as the abilfy  I'm on isnt helping
- Ruth P. Freedman

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
It might also be worth talking about sodium valproate as well.

I dont know what you are like with meds but these are not ones to mess with. If you are likely to consider OD at any point if things get really hard it would be a really good idea to talk to them about it. 

Ive taken both and not really noticed much difference but again I didnt consistently take them properly.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »
I was on it but it didnt help much but took od of it so was taken off it.
I have found no mood stabiliser or antipsychotic made things any better for me so now if offered again I'd refuse
Maybe another AD might help - I'm on 2
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:16:23 PM »
Been put on depakote
- Ruth P. Freedman

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:20:54 PM »
that is sodium valproate right?

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:30:41 PM »
I'm on Depakote (which is semi-sodium valproate). I was put on it for agitation and I take it alongside olanzapine and venlafaxine. I didn't think it was helping at all and it was added at the same time as the olanzapine/increase in venlafaxine, so I couldn't be sure which medication was doing what, but I really noticed a difference when I tried to reduce the dosage.

I've heard that the side effects can be pretty difficult to manage, but I haven't had any that I can definitely put down to the Depakote. I was told by my psychiatrist that it's important not to conceive whilst you're on it as it can cause abnormalities in the baby.

I hope it helps you. :hug2:
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 11:35:03 PM »
i remember a very funny conversation with the psych about conception and this, he explained it all because he has to and then i said that i'd make sure that i tell my girlfriend that she has to be really careful not to get me pregnant. but yes it is important there is a specific condition linked to it.

I took it for a few months and didnt have any side effects. just again...i know i have said it a lot...take it properly

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 12:29:10 AM »
He never said anything it really tried to put me on lithium but I swayed him
- Ruth P. Freedman