Author Topic: Stranger commented on my scars. *mt?*  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
Stranger commented on my scars. *mt?*
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
Today I was volunteering at a local community event working mainly with the children. One of the carers/parents/guardians outright asked me if I was a self harmer. I was a little bit stunned and still don't know what to make of it. I just said I was ill and that I'm now better (maybe a slight twist of the truth but y'know ::) ). My scars are noticeable particularly where I have had stitches but they are by no means the worst scarring I've seen (either deliberate or for medical reasons). Just feeling pretty wobbly about it, I'm not even sure what posting will achieve ::)

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Stranger commented on my scars. *mt?*
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
That's a bit upfront  :oo: :hug1: :hug2:

Perhaps this person is SH's ...? or used to?

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »
Yeah, I did wonder if that might be the case. Needless to say I'll be wearing long sleeves tonight ::)

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »
 :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

i've been asked once or twice.
out of hundreds and hundreds of times. i wear dresses to work now without cardi on (if im feeling brave)
despite some times dealing with hundreds of people at work in a day, sometimes more, i've only  ever been asked what the scars were from a couple of times

i know this knocks confidence, but ... please try not to let it?

i'm sure as soon as it was said, the person wished they could of retracted it.

Offline Jsnuk

• First posts
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:25:32 PM »
Yeah, I suspect it's likely the person had/ has some experience with self-harm. They may have been trying to strike up a conversation on mutual ground but bottled it from anxiety at the last moment and didn't take the discussion any further. I've certainly seen people with scarring before and wanted to say something, but never been quite able to. I don't know the circumstances of course, but in my experience and knowledge, people who will judge you for your SH will usually not be the types to say anything to you.

Offline Daisy Bell

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
People can be funny about having people with mental health problems around their children and self harm is still looked on as werid but that doesn't sound like it is the case or she would have gone on to say more. More likely she knows something about self harm in her personal life and wanted to place you in her world. :kissygiraffe: