Author Topic: Carbamazapine.  (Read 6698 times)

Offline tellingstories

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Carbamazapine.
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »
Has anyone been on this? It's an antimanic, primarily, according to the psychiatrist. I'd like it to work quickly because people are getting fed up of me phoning them and talking nonsense tbh and I have spent all my money (which was a considerable stash) and borrowed more than I can reasonably pay back. Plus I've overdone it a tad with the old PRN. Woe! How long does it take to work? There's all kind of issues with starting at a low dose and working up, and readjusting the quetiapine because Carbamazapine decreases blood levels or some nonsense. Why is nothing simple? The patient information leaflet is scary too.

All this nonsense with this medication and all I need to be is normal to be honest. That's all. I want a normal brain.
A woman who writes feels too much,
those trances and portents!
As if cycles and children and islands
weren't enough; as if mourners and gossips
and vegetables were never enough.
She thinks she can warn the stars.

Offline tellingstories

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Re: Carbamazapine.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
And I can't even spell carbamazapine. I can't spell anything properly anymore.

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
hay dont be hard on your self im here lots of hugs

Offline Louise

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Kiss me properly and pull me apart
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »
I last took this over 3 years ago so not sure how useful what I have to say is (given that obviously that whole section of my life is a little hazy/clouded in denial).

Personally, I did find it worked quickly - a lot quicker than the doc had led me to believe. Not sure if that's just because I had started on a higher dose than I should have, or because I had not taken a drug of that type before, or some other thing.

I did not get on too well with it to be completely honest. I found it was very good at controlling my impulsivity and what I like to term 'nervous chatter', but as cliched as this sounds I really did feel quite 'spaced out'. Not in the sense that I did not feel like 'me', but more that I was underwater or a bit detatched from my surroundings? I found I would sit still for long periods of time almost like my brain couldn't give my limbs the right instructions to move (not that this was actually true, obviously, it just felt that way).

However, none of that should put you off. The actual reason I stopped taking it was because of it decreasing the effectiveness of the pill (yeah, my clever psych didn't bother telling me that or actually looking at my medical records, it would appear) rather than the above effects. Cus as I say, I coudn't honestly say how much of that was the medication and how much was just 'me'. I have heard others have really good positive experiences with it - so who knows, if I'd stuck with it then it may have helped me too. And as I said, it really did curb the impulsivity side of things for me so I'd say from the whole money wasting side of things it could really help calm things down for you.

Sorry for the ramble, hope some of that makes some sort of sense!
There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »
hay that did make sence and i think your right so how is your day going on

Offline tellingstories

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »
That doesn't sound great. However, I've heard people say similar about quetiapine which has been amazing for me- guess we're all different.

I'm just very desperate to get well again. If you're the Louise I think, then you probably have an idea why. Ultimately, I need to be well for my kids though.

Offline Louise

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Kiss me properly and pull me apart
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:02 AM »
I am indeed 'that' Louise.

I completely understand why you just need to be 'sorted', ASAP. I'm assuming you told your doc this, before they prescribed it?

Even if it does take a while to kick in properly, at least you're trying, right? I can't lie and say it's a magic pill that'll 'fix' your brain overnight, but it's the best they/you can do right now. I know if you could click your fingers and be 'normal' you would, for your kids of nothing else. No one should hold this against you, you clearly want to get better and you are trying (not like you threw a tantrum and refused to try these new meds, is it?).

I really hope it kicks in quickly for you and you start to see some changes - and if not then I'd say keep going back until they get it right for you. It's not fair and you shouldn't have to, but it's probably the only way.

I understand you need to be well for your kids. But you have done a pretty good jobs so far, in spite of all the crap that has been thrown your way. I'm no expert when it comes to 'the system', but that has to count for something.
There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late