Author Topic: career change  (Read 5447 times)

Offline wendymum

• 18+
  • Usually here
career change
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »
I've just had an operation and it's made me think I may like to re train as a nurse.  I used to want to do nursing but did youth work and stuff instead.  I've done some research and am eligible for a fast track graduate programme.  However, I have two big uncertainties:
1.  Can I be consistent enough to complete training and hold down a job.
2.  Will I be allowed to work as a nurse with BPD and with "frequent misuse of prescribed medications" in my medical records.

Is anyone else doing nurse/health care training or working in that field?  What was the occy health assesment like?

Offline findingmyway

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: career change
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
Hi wendymum :wave:

I think any change in career will throw up big uncertainties.

I dont work in nursing but am thinking about mh nursing in the future and my care co-ordinator has said that my diagnosis of BPD and history of overdoses and sh wouldnt stop me being able to do it (as long as occy health were happy that I was stable enough).

Also, a woman on my STEPPS course (who is still active self-harming and has a diagnosis of BPD) qualified last week as a nurse - she said occy health were thorough but ok about it!

Hope that helps a bit??
Thank you all so much for your support, I really appreciate it.
Please, all keep as safe as you can.

I will be thinking of you xxxxx :hug1: :hug

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »
Having a mh diagnosis shouldn't stop you training/working as a nurse. Occy health will just want to be sure that you are capable of doing the job well and safely and that its not going to have a negative impact on you/your health.
If your gp/mh team are supportive then occ health are usually fine.

Im in my final year of training, and occ health know Ive sh'ed and od'd (and I know of others on the course who have, known to occ health) whilst on the course and they've allowed me to continue, providing I take sick leave when I am not up to doing my job.

Have you got someone you can talk this through with??
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline wendymum

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Thank you both for such positive replies.  You have really put my mind at ease.

I have just completed an application as a care assistant (learning disability) which if I get it will tide me over and get me back in that mind set till I am able to start training (if accepted).  The job is 171/2 hours a week which I think is enough for starters.

I am both terrified and excited.  I've not had a normal job for more than 5 years (been self employed so I could work around my MH problems).  It was good for a while but the pressure of running a company and not knowing where income was coming from month to month has worn me down.  I feel like I will be better off in a normal job for a while - once I've recovered from my operation.

Cheers  :thumbsup: