Author Topic: New people!!!  (Read 6218 times)

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
New people!!!
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:54:49 AM »
Wasn't sure where to post this - I think this is the right place.

I'm getting unnerved by all the newbies to this site.  Old users have gone and now there seems to be a an influx of new names.

I don't know why this bothers me because I do think its great that more and more people are reaching out for help and advice.

I'm not in a good place right now so maybe its paranoia creeping in.

And for anyone who's new sho's reading this please don''t lose heart or face in coming to this site, tis probably just my issues.

Is that why it bothers me?
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline Je7

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: New people!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
Hey, I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I have been a member here for years and years but frequently don't post very much. I guess it's only natural that people move on but it can be difficult fro those of us that aren't ready. I guess just trying to think of it as a positive would help, so they have fortunately found this brilliant supportive network and hopefully will put in and out of it as much as older members have done.
Sorry for rambling I hope this makes sense? X

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »
Familiarity can be a major contributor to confidence - it's one of the reasons we try not to change the look and feel of the site more than necessary.

This is a support site, though - new members join when their need of support is greatest and will be here relatively frequently, the more long standing members don't need the site so much, meaning that we don't see them so much. There are even some 'newbies' who have been here a long time.

It is good that people can reach out for help and support - many services recommend this site, so we do see lots of newbies - all of whom are very welcome.

*tries to remember when I was a newbie - somewhere around 1920......*  :-X
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline yrangelion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
you may not remember me, I'm an oldbie (left for about 7/8 mths) that's come back, I'm sure I spoke to you a few times before I left though.

When I was a regular here and settled with familiar people, I found newbies unsettling too, especially when a few of them appeared at the same time, you get used to with time though or at least I did.

Sorry you're not doing good at the moment, around if you want a chat :hug1: x
when you feel like giving up, think of all the reasons you've held on for so long!! :)

Offline hayley

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
Thanks for replies

I honestly wasn't attacking the newbies - I was one once - and I hope no-one is deterred by my post.  May sound selfish but getting it all down in a post helped me to see I really have nothing to fear.

I do remember you yrangelion! !
Check out my blog! www.borderlineshavemoref un@wordpress.com

Offline jackgrillo

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Totally King of Rainbow!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »
I think newbies come in waves. Seems odd, but that's what I've seen in the time I've been here.

I think as Rob said, as people start to not need the site as much, they leave because they are managing without.

Also, as is proven by both me and yrangelion, some of the people who left once come back :)

Familiarity can be a major contributor to confidence - it's one of the reasons we try not to change the look and feel of the site more than necessary.

This is a support site, though - new members join when their need of support is greatest and will be here relatively frequently, the more long standing members don't need the site so much, meaning that we don't see them so much. There are even some 'newbies' who have been here a long time.

It is good that people can reach out for help and support - many services recommend this site, so we do see lots of newbies - all of whom are very welcome.

*tries to remember when I was a newbie - somewhere around 1720......*  :-X

There, I fixed it ::P:

:13328: <-- gregory
:13328: <-- that one was given to me by chihiro

I like walking in the rain because then nobody can see me cry