Author Topic: GP or not? *may trig*  (Read 9848 times)

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
GP or not? *may trig*
« on: September 16, 2012, 01:18:29 AM »
Kind of embarrassing to explain but here goes.

Noticed a weird little lump about the size of a pea just on the edge of a very private area ( however you want to term it) underneath the skin. Felt it first after going to the toilet but then after a couple of days it was very sore and throbbing...so I figured id had enough and cut it open. A small amount of puss came out and eventhough I made sure there was no more...the lump is still there. Showing a GP would involve not only the usual embarrassment that comes with taking underwear off...but also the thigh where the worst scarring is. Really not ok with that as GPs ive seen before are harsh to say the least.

Also not looking forward to explaining I cut it open cus I want nothing to do with them.

Basically all I am asking is...if it was you - would you go to the GP, is there anything to be lost by trying to fix it on my own?

:icon_arrow: Edit to add trigger warning ~ Bea
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:53:57 AM by Bea »
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
Re: GP or not? *may trig*
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:57:52 AM »
As soon as I read this, I thought  Bartholins Cyst

If it is irritating you and / or causing discomfort, you really need to get it checked out.  Try not to worry about them seeing your scars, you can just ignore any comments (hard, I know) 

Make an appointment  :hug2:
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

split

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 07:35:38 AM »
Sounds like an in grown hair to me, appologies if that is just a less technical term for what bea said.

It would benefit from a small course of anti b's if it is.

Sounds like you have had some horrid doctors, maybe ask to see someone different or consider changing practice.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:05:45 AM »
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
How do I explain that I cut it? Glad I did - not hurting now. Annoyed that they will see.

Bea that sounds exactly right so I guess I need to do something

Great - finding it hard to do anything like that atm and the psych said to do the less difficult things first and now I have to dive in with phone calls and doctors that I dont know and just.....argh

Very :(

Thanks for the advice and hugs 
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »
Would you be able to ask to see a practise nurse to look at it? May feel a lot less intrusive for you.
In terms of cutting it open, just say that you could feel puss/liquid inside it so thought that trying to remove it yourself would be less hassle. I have broken skin to get deep rooted splinters out before, surely it can't be that rare for someone to think that is the best course of action? I am sure my dad has done the same before for a thorn/splinter and he has no history of SH.

split

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:50:59 AM »
nosda is right. i have done it myself in the past and my gp hasnt even questioned whether it has been sh related, i just tell them the pressure was pulling it tight and causing a lot of discomfort so i lanced it to relieve the pressure. dont be ashamed of having opened it up... i think most people try to these days as getting a gp appointment is hard work.

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:56:57 AM »
Do try and get an appointment today, you really need to get it checked xxx  :hug2:
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe

crystal.star

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
I've had this before and know how painful it can be.  The doc was very discreet on examination and I got some anti-biotics for it.  Hope you manage to get an appt.   :hug1:

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »
How are you doing foaly? 
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe