Author Topic: Uni stuff - brain hurting!!  (Read 6158 times)

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
Uni stuff - brain hurting!!
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
As you may know I recently started my MSc in Applied Psychology. It's going well so far (I think), but I'm shattered after lectures and my brain is aching!

As part of my degree I need to write a 15,000 word dissertation on a topic of my choice (must relate to clinical or health psychology). I don't need to do the study until next year, but I need to submit a research proposal in December. I'm really struggling to think of a topic tho, at least something that is testable.

I'm starting to wonder if I've taken on too much with this MSc. I don't know if my brain is up to it. I don't feel that my cognitive abilities are very strong.

I know it's early days and that, I'm just overly worrying  ::-\:
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
Re: Uni stuff - brain hurting!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »
Its always the worst thing trying to think of what to do but once you have you will feel much better im sure. Is there any help available to give you ideas like tutorials?
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:58 AM »
Thanks tigger xx

I don't have a tutor but i guess i could talk to one of the module leaders. I just don't want them to think Im thick or lazy. Im seeing my psychologist tomorrow so was thinking of asking his advice but i don't know that i should. I've got a very rough idea of a topic but don't know if it would be any good.

Slept well last night with the aid of meds but sleep not coming tonight.
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »
Just thought I'd share some positive stuff :)

Had a really good session with my psychologist today. We did some mindfullness stuff to help with my busy head, then we did some more of the cognitive remediation therapy which was really interesting.

I spoke to him about my research proposal for uni and he was really helpful. Helped me to formulate some ideas and said he would help me to recruit my participants from his client list, as long as I get ethical clearance.

Also, he is putting me forward to a peer support program where I'd get training to work with service users. It's not happening until May/June next year, but its something to look forward to.

My psychologist is ace  ;D

Feeling on a real high
Xx

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:17:16 PM »
 :icon_mrgreen:
SUCH fantastic news to read. i'm so happy it's going well hun
you deserve this :hug1: :hug2: WELL DONE xx xx xx

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
Thanks Lily  :hug2:

Had a bit of a hard night (posted about it in H&N) but back on track again today. Went to slimming world this eve and was surprised to find I'd had a small loss. Pleased about that as I haven't really stuck to the plan recently.

Have got a few things to look forward to this week. Tomorrow I'm going to a quiz in my friends pub with some work mates and Friday I'm going to London for the weekend to visit a friend who I've not seen for a few years..

Things going pretty well  :)

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »
 :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Bethy

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »
Really pleased to hear things are going okay at the moment TH :)

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »
Hey TH... so glad to hear your psychologist was so helpful...

how're you feeling today? xx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..