Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Mindfulness
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »
I've been looking into doing a Mindfulness course. My head is so overwhelmed by eating disorder thoughts that I just need to try a different way of controlling them. The focus of the course is stress and anxiety rather than eating, but these feelings cover a lot of my food issues and other areas of my life. Does anyone have any experiences of Mindfulness (positive or negative)?

Thanks  :)   

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:24 AM »
Hi Olivia... I'm currently doing a DBT programme and part of that is mindfulness... it can be useful in lots of situations... I don't think I have a proper handle on it yet, I've only been doing it for a few months...it takes a while for things to click.. but it's definitely worth looking into...

Hope you find a good course... xx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline Harvey

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »
Hey, over the past year I have taken part in 2 slightly different mindfulness courses. I found that being in a group situation with other people intending to help/improve their lives was a great comfort and in a sense made me feel not so alone. The first course I intended was aimed solely at people with Mental Health disorders, whereas the second one was open to everyone, from all walks of life. I found the second one a little more helpful, as it made me realise how everyone can have struggles in life, no matter what their situation. You may feel the same about the course that you are intending to take, as the focus away from the primary issue may help you to think about other aspects of your life/life as a whole.

I found the small suggestions of homework quite helpful, because it encouraged you to take the session away with you and allow yourself, in your own time, to make more sense of it and to apply it to your situation.

If you are thinking about it seriously, then it may be worth giving it a go. These things all work differently for each person. If you do decide to pursue it, I hope it helps you even just a little bit :)
Hakuna Matata

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Thank you both for your replies. I'm leaning more towards giving it a go. Fingers crossed  :)