Author Topic: Thoughts on tattoos  (Read 12886 times)

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Thoughts on tattoos
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »
Hi All,

I've wanted to get a tattoo on and off for years. I think the reason it's taken me so long to decide is because I didn't want to get something and regret it! Anyway at the grand age of 32 I think I've made my choice (lotus flower) - it's going to be something symbolic on the inside of my wrist that will hopefully remind me that out of the darkness, there comes something resembling hope. It's a sign of beauty and enlightenment and will hopefully make me think that I don't always need to hurt.

So I was wondering does anyone have any tattoo stories out there (hopefully ones they haven't regretted!)

xx

Offline Lily Kym

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Thoughts on tattoos
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »
I have 6 tattoos.
First one i got at the age of 31. Have been considering what to get since the age of 18. But put it off until i found something with meaning.

A friend designed my first tatt. I liked it so much I had it flipped and redone on other shoulder.

the rest followed within a year.

(it's very addictive).

I think your idea is LOVELY xx xx

I have pics if you're interested

Offline Faded~Lady

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »
I have a grand total of 14 my faves are the word unique on my neck and my foot lilies.  Regret some love some
Only those who dare, truly live.
- Ruth P. Freedman

Offline Figurehead

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • 'The self is Despair' - Kierkegaard
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:52:07 AM »
I got my sister's nickname tattooed on my shoulder while drunk by my mate's equally drunk girlfriend. It looks kind of stupid but, to be honest, I don't care. No-one will see it and after she had to go into full time care I wanted to have her with me all the time in some sense. I'm really glad I can feel like I can't forget her.

Having said that, I wouldn't advise anybody else to follow my method
'For the old God no longer lives, he is quite Dead' - Nietzsche

Offline ~hannah~

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Buddy - PM or Email Any Questions!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
Currently I only have one on my ankle. I designed it when I was about 14, a couple of years after my Dad died. When I was 19 my best friend and I went and got tattooed together and she paid for mine as a birthday/xmas present. Its not perfect but I love it as it has a dual meaning and Its something I waited years and years for. Its a simple elegant heart with 2 oak leaves and an acorn incorporated. My Dad planted trees (forests/huge woodlands) when he was alive.

In February I will have the tops of my feet done with designs I drew whilst travelling in Australia a few years ago. I had been mulling the idea of what I want for years and whilst in Aus I was struck with a flash of inspiration. My bf (of nearly 6 months) surprised me with a booking at my favourite local tattooist. He has seen the drawings and understands the meaning behind them. I will share when I've had them done, a little protective of them 'till then!  :hide:  ::-\:  Among other meanings which are to do with the actual designs, the reason for having them on my feet is that I hate them! Ive funny looking toes and have always had problems with my feet (born flat footed, broken all my toes at one time, forever twisting my ankles) so I wanted to make them more appealing to me! :P

There are a few others I'd eventually like to get. These include my favourite type of lilly in tendrils and wisps from my wrist to my shoulder on my left arm (to cover old scars and to have a connection to my mum always with me, she spent many years as a National Trust gardener/florist/plant nursery owner and grower and loves nature), my favourite Albert Einstein quote either as a delicate chest piece (fairly small print, feminine, with roses/stars/'glittler') or across the top of my shoulders (again im a little reluctant to share the whole detail until its done!) and then I will have this tiny outline of a dancing bear (drawn by a family friend) on my right ankle for my step-Dad (who is amazing). Then behind my right ear a tiny Victorian style umbrella (for my friend who bought my first one) and she will have one too (this summer!) and behind my left ear a tiny feminine masquarde mask for my other closest female friend, who will have a matching one somewhere this summer also!  ;D

OOOh sorry, Ive gone on a bit. I love tattoos. Just make sure you talk to your artist (after researching artists styles you like). They will be able to advise about the best placement on your body (skin type/thickness/natural bony or curvy bits all have to be taken into account) and explain the procedure etc. Im sure you know to look out for hygienic standards and certificates.

Good luck! It is fun and exciting and very addictive! :) 
*cat* <-- Calypso! Thanks SD x

Make Friends With Your Past, Then You Can Leave It At Last, Its Time To Find Yourself In Your Revolution.

Smile Like No One's Watching & Laugh Like There Is No Tomorrow!

Offline howling

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:15:37 PM »
GET IT! ive got a swallow on my hand because my dad has old school ones on his hands. my birth sign on the side of my hand, a humming bird and butterfly, for my daughters and their names. and everyone has to have a heart. and i also love the designer rennie mcintosh so ive got his rose. art deco style. my next ones are going to be script and a pheonix. im working toward a sleeve but the pheonis is going on my neck. they are addictive and its a great way of expressing yourself.
" You cannot do a kindness too soon,for you never know how soon it will be too late."

Offline Worried Friend

• +18
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
I have 3 at the moment. A variation of the Ohm symbol on the back of my neck. "Memento Vivere" which means Reminder of life on the inside of one wrist. Want to get"Memento Mori" meaning Reminder of death on the other. My most recent one is 3 Raven outlines on my foot which is meant to represent my life in London and my favourite poem is The Raven by Poe. Also want a bird on my shoulder/back and a leaf-less tree silhouette on my ribs. My parents hate them, I love them :)
Be who you are and say what you feel because people who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind.

Deep deep deep!!!

Offline Bea

• NSHN Moderator
  • Usually here
  • No day But Today.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:39:02 PM »
I love my tats!!!

I had my first one done at 35, and the 2nd & 3rd at 37.  I had always wanted one, and thought that it was about time.  I have never regretted them.  And also, as my daughter *waters* the sunflower on my left shoulder & says "when I get my tattoo....."  I chip in with - "when you're 35, then you can have a tattoo!!"

Good luck with yours!
*jingly turtle*  
Lady Giraffe
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
Wow, I'm loving all your responses!  :1059:

Your reasons and stories behind them mean so much and have just strengthened my resolve to get one - so thank you! xx

Offline howling

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
woop woop!!! as long as your absolutely positive about your design you wont regret having it done. and more maybe! xx
" You cannot do a kindness too soon,for you never know how soon it will be too late."