Author Topic: Quitting smoking now  (Read 13750 times)

Offline justine

• 18+
  • Usually here
Quitting smoking now
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
I've decided this morning to quit smoking. It makes me really tired. Its bad for my reflux. Bad for health. And in the past few days I've noticed it gives me anxiety every time I smoke. It's just doing me no good. So I'm here as a place to vent when I want to smoke.
If you feel like life is a dark, worthless place, please know that you have just fallen down a hole and that impossible as it seems, you can climb out again, and see that life is really a beautiful place to be

http://www.nshn.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=74073.msg1702918#new

Offline Tucan

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Quitting smoking now
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »
That sounds really positive. Good luck quitting. I hope you are successful.
now hand over the tea bags and we won't have any trouble.... :police:

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
I quit smoking about 3.5 years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done! What are you using to help? I found vaping worked really well for me, it's the only thing that I've been successful with.
Good luck! :)
Rabbits are better than people

Offline justine

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »
 Hi guys. Thanks for the support. I tried vaping for a while but I get addicted to that instead and its worse on my throat (ive got bad reflux). I just got in, I'm hot and tired. It took 2 hours to get home. Its sunny. I'm in bed. I want a fag soooo bad. Might well cave.
If you feel like life is a dark, worthless place, please know that you have just fallen down a hole and that impossible as it seems, you can climb out again, and see that life is really a beautiful place to be

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
There are lots of different vaping liquids - go to a vaping shop and ask about the different ones available for people who have more sensitive throats. Some people find that they can drastically reduce the number of cigarettes they use with the help of a mild e-cig.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline justine

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 06:57:20 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions :) problem is, when I vape, its excessive and constant.

Been distracting myself on a dating app, had a rest now. But still want to fall back into watching tv, playing on my phone and smoking. My will to quit is weakening. Gonna go cook some food and see how it goes.

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
With vaping there are lots of different options. You could go for a higher voltage battery which would give a bigger 'hit' and so you'd likely not need it as much and you could try stronger flavours. Plus, different liquids have different ingredients so they might not be as bad for your throat, I often found that I couldn't use certain types so I stuck with certain brands. There's also the option of a 0mg liquid so it doesn't matter how much you vape you won't feel ill or you could try a flavour that you don't like as much so you'll be less inclined to vape constantly.
I do understand the worry about vaping addiction but I found that as I reduced the nicotine I thought about it less and less over time; I started on 18 then went to 12, 8 and then 0. To be honest though, I figured that I'd rather be addicted to vaping than smoking, it's surely the best option. If you find things really difficult you could pop into a few vape shops and get some advice.

How are you doing with your cravings tonight? It's tough going isn't it.  :hug1: :hug2:

Offline justine

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »
I did listen and have found some 0.8% liquid in tescos online so will have that delivered tomorrow. I don't see how I can resist tonight. Eliquid is expensive tho. Maybe I'll have to have that as reason to rashion it and not use it constantly.

I don't know why I even want a fag. Think I'm gonna cave.

Offline justine

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 08:06:03 PM »
Part of my personality is to be obsessive about things so the ecig becomes a comfort things constantly in my mouth.

Some good ideas about the vaping.

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
Smoking is a coping mechanism, if I was stressed or simply bored smoking was the cure. The key here is to find a better way to occupy yourself. I sometimes found it helpful to step outside and take really deep breaths and eating some mints can help too. :)

I get my eliquid 6 for £10 (10ml bottles) so try and shop around, the one from Tesco will do for now while you sort it properly :). Overall vaping is cheaper than smoking once you've bought the actual gadget!

I found that I was biting my ecig as much as vaping with it, I guess it's because we're used to putting fags in our mouths and the action keeps both our mouths and hands busy. Better than smoking though :). Honestly l, I found the nicotine easier to quit than the habit

I hope that you manage to get through tonight but if you cave you can always try again tomorrow.  :hug1: :hug2: