Author Topic: is it ocd?  (Read 6493 times)

Offline exp.626

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • a slightly blurry Oscar
is it ocd?
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
not sure what this is, but thanks to a thread in imdb, and participating, and thinking of the things I do, it could be. i'm copying and pasting this, cos I can't be bothered to retype it all.

I couldn't give a toss which order my books, dvds or jigsaw puzzles are in, as long as my discs are the right way up in their cases, meaning the picture on the disc is up, and the head/words up and the bottom down (like you're stood up). I do put my dvds (my box sets) in order, when I put them back on the shelves, which I rarely do.

I also have to open things in only one direction. crisp packets are opened at the top, and there have been once or twice where've I've accidently opened them upside down. boxes are opened from the last letter on it (bottom), rather than the first letter (top).

my paper money has to be one way, like the queen's face facing outwards, and whoever's ugly mug's on the back, stays at the back. I have a friend who puts his paper money any which way into his wallet. oh yeah, my purse, where I keep my money, has to be at the bottom of my handbag, with everything else on top of it. a bit silly, as when I need my purse, I have to dig to the bottom of my bag for it.

irritations are when people don't put things back where they got them from in supermarkets. or it's when my friend's doing something on my pc, and I suggest he opens a new window, when he's searching for something.

something I forgot to mention last night, is the fact I refuse to use public toilets, unless I absolutely have to, and when I do, I don't sit down properly. so, if i'm not far from home, and I need to go, i'll hold it.

as for food, my friend pointed out that not only do I eat my food separately, but also in a certain order. so if i'm eating fish, chips n peas, i'll eat the peas first, then the chips, then the fish. I also eat pies in an odd way. first the crust, then the filling (usually cheese and onion, and with a teaspoon), then the rest of the pastry.

labels. they have to be hidden. like, my hand towel in my bathroom, on the radiator has to be hung with the label down the back of it. same with my tea towels, except they're on the drawers, in my kitchen. my friend never pays attention to the way he puts my towel back on the radiator, but if i'm in the bathroom with him, I nearly always snatch the towel off him, and replace it myself.

mr 626 says it is ocd, but i'm not too sure.

some insight would be helpful. I've tried googling, but what I've read just goes on about obsessiveness and compulsions, and I don't think that sounds like me.  ::-\:

ps, mods, if this is in the wrong room, please shift it :)   

Oscar is a bully, a thief, a nosy parker and an escape artist.

Stitch is in the house! ;D

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: is it ocd?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
dvds  - I'm much the same
crisps - all the bits are at the bottom so I always open the top too
paper money is always one way - only way you can guarantee counting it correctly (something I learnt when I worked on a bar while at uni)
purse - I don't have one, but I'd probably put it underneath where it was less easy to fall out or be nicked.
supermarkets - people should return stuff to where others can find it again
pcs - I simply don't let others on mine!
public loos - eweurgh - it's got to be an emergency
food - I'll eat in an order, but in exactly the opposite order to yours!  rotfl
labels - I wouldn't notice which way they faced on things like towels

So we actually compare quite well
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline terrified heart

• 18+
  • Always here
  • TH
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
I'm actually pretty similar in a lot of the ways you've described too.
See something new, do something new, learn something new, go somewhere new... See what this world has to offer

Offline caspers smudj

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • dont follow me, im lost too!!!
    • reaching out together
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
yes, me too
but with additions
pens at work have to be facing the same way and rotated every time i use one -
house work does not get done but im obsessive about stock on shelves at work being in their own rows
have to have exact amount of spaces in tyed stuff
but on the whole a lot of what you said is me
xx
visit is at
https://www.reachingouttogether.proboards.com/
all visitors will be welcomed!!

Offline exp.626

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • a slightly blurry Oscar
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »
labels - I wouldn't notice which way they faced on things like towels

rob, that would irritate me to the point i'd put them with the labels hiding. :P

I remember when I was younger, i'd purposely leave the meat (yes, I used to eat meat) until last. not because I liked it, but because I didn't.

I also never kept still, when I was little. I was always moving or fidgeting. my nan and mum took me, my sister and brother to blackpool once, and I had to stay in the room, with my nan, while my mum took the other two to see canon and ball, live. the ants in my pants was the reason I wasn't taken to see them, as well. even now, many years later, I still fidget but I don't have ants in my pants, as I used to. my gran would tell me to 'stop fidgeting'.

we may all have ocd, except mr 626! he'd never have it. I actually tried reasoning with him as to why I put my paper money facing one way and he doesn't. he wouldn't listen, and he told me it all gets spent, no matter which way it's put. but to me, it does matter.  

casper, my housework doesn't get done, either. I need help with mine.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:58:22 PM by exp.626 »
Oscar is a bully, a thief, a nosy parker and an escape artist.

Stitch is in the house! ;D

split

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
I personally believe that everyone has little things, it is part of making oneself comfortable. It is when these little things prevent you from living a normal life by stopping you leaving the house, put your life in danger, etc.

I personally have to eat small items in multiples of five, and have the volume on the TV/radio on a multiple of 5. I like having a clean home, everything has it's place and is always returned then when finished being in use. But I still get out and do the things I love doing for the most part. I am not hurting anyone or myself. So though most people joke and say I have OCD, I dont, as it doesn't control my life.

So what basically I am saying is, Is it affecting your life and those around you. Does it distress you?