Author Topic: Setting goals  (Read 3508 times)

Offline BA

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Mission One
Setting goals
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
I am rubbish at setting goals and I'm not keen on New Year resolutions as they're not for me.

Right now, I need to read every day, exercise each day...common sense, really. But, it ain't happening at present. Last year I got my driving license, and an MA.

Anyone good at setting goals? Smaller ones seem to be work best, I think.

Strength, courage and wisdom.

Bethy

Re: Setting goals
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
Have you heard of SMART targets? It's the concept of setting targets that are: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound.

Why do you need to read and exercise every day? They are good for everybody to do but not essential to survival. If you want to read and exercise every day, then you're exactly right - smaller ones do work best (without wanting to sound patronising, I do think there's a big difference between needing/wanting and the way you frame it really impacts on your enthusiasm on the task). How much reading and exercise do you do at the moment? If none at all, then start small.

Eg:
- Read for fifteen minutes before going to sleep, on Tuesday and Friday.
- Get off a bus stop earlier and walk that extra distance home, on Monday and Wednesday.

Practice that for a couple of weeks (don't increase it at first - it's tempting to increase drastically before it's properly integrated into your mindset), then slowly begin to increase it. So say, reading for fifteen minutes before bed on Thursday too, or getting off a bus stop early three times a week rather than twice.

Obviously I have no idea of your circumstances so you'd need to adapt it but I hope that helps a bit. Also, when I am unmotivated to do things that need to get done (say university work ;) ) I set an twenty minute timer, and tell myself it's JUST those twenty minutes that are going to be dedicated to that task. It may not be a lot, but it's more than would probably happen otherwise! Best of luck

Offline BA

• 018s Buddy
  • Usually here
  • Mission One
Re: Setting goals
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
I've heard of SMART, yes, but I'm not much of a fan as we heard it none stop in school in business class.  ::P: And when I went to one uni adviser about being stuck on studying, etc that's all he was able to come up with. I can see the logic and usefulness in it. But, yes, it wears a little thin for me although you've fleshed it out a little more than uni guy was able to as he was in generic appointment mode.

I'm getting used to a new routine now, invariably up at 6am, home after 7pm...shower, eat, potter about on the PC and that's about it on those days. Was very, very tired last week - am hoping this won't continue, as it meant I was also irritable - think getting my in gear a bit will help in some respects.

I have thought about running a marathon, so regular exercise would be important for that. Or a half marathon, or joining a gym. But, for me, staying in too much can be cabin fever and things can get stressy when I don't engage in things and remain too isolated. I'm bad at hobbies, need to restart some and pursue some new ones. It'll need to be small steps.

Food for thought, though, thanks.
Strength, courage and wisdom.