Author Topic: Books that you have found to help  (Read 103664 times)

Offline closebutnocigar

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • dum spiro spero
Re: Books that you have found to help
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2009, 01:16:56 AM »
A fairly recent one - Scarred by Sophie Andrews - although not all the same issues as me, it kind of made me feel like I wasn't alone in what I've done
That's a great book.
Also, I echo I hate you... Don't leave me. and The best little girl in the world.
Borderline personality disorder for dummies is also great.
xxx

Offline liletty

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
  • Dum Spiro Spero
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2010, 12:05:35 AM »
I have just finished reading Cutting it Out! OH MY GOD! What a book. I want to read it again and again. So powerful! xx

Offline oOoKATEoOo

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • Twitter
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
Hey, I'm new, I just wanted to say thank you for this thread - it was the first thing I read in the forum and I've now ordered Bloodletting: A True Story of Secrets, Self-harm and Survival and Cutting it Out: A Journey Through Psychotherapy and Self-harm

I'm hoping that these will help.  I'm ready to quit but I need help to stop. 

If there are any other books/materials that you know of that might help please let me know.

:hug1:
"In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins; not through strength, but through persistence."
Buddha

Last SH: 05/09/12

Offline ButterfliesAndHurricanes

• Silver Member
  • Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »
-Cut by Patricia McCormick - about Callie, a 15 year-old, who is sent to a place called Sea Pines to battle her struggle with self-mutilation.
-Red Tears by Joanna Kenrick - about a teenager who resorts to self-mutilation upon entering GCSE year and struggling with the stress.
-Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen - about the authors stay in a psychiatric hospital in the sixties for borderline personality disorder.
-Zelah Green by Vanessa Curtis - about a teenager who develops OCD after the death of her mother and is sent to group home.
-Impulse by Ellen Hopkins - about three troubled teenagers who meet at a psychiatric hospital after committing suicide and set plan to attempt again, only this time suceed.
-Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - about a young girl who committs suicide and leaves tapes behind for thirteen people, there tapes telling these thirteen people what part they played in her suicide.

:yahooo: All are fantastic and excellent reads, but be warned: triggering content throughout.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:27:06 PM by ButterfliesAndHurricanes »
Self Mutilation - 19/09/2010
Anxiety Attack - 29/08/2010
Anger Outburst - 24/08/2010

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
~Albert Camus

Moti

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
Wow!

Thanks for such a great thread!

I have just finished reading Healing the Hurt Within (Jan Sutton) (Read it in Two Days) I found this really helpful, both to understand myself and how to explain myself to others. I was sat there reading it saying Oh My Word, this is so freakingly me!

Next in line is A Bright Red Scream (Marilee Strong), then Self Harm: the path to recovery (Middleton and Garvie), then Bloodletting (Victoria Leatham).
(Yes, I've been on an Amazon binge!)

After reading this thread, I also purchased Cutting it Out.

*I'm going to be busy*

:)

Offline billy

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • save a life love an emo kid!
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
i found the book cutting it out very help full and it lovely to ready.

but the book self hearm i didnt find helpfull at all i though i was just used to show how badly a number of people were treated but profeshnals i didnt find anything postive form it at all
"evrything can be recycled except time!"

"evrything will be ok in the end
if its not ok
its not the end!"

"remember when we were YOUNG and couldn't wait to grow up? ...WOW, what the hell were we thinking!?!?"

Offline lpoolluvly

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
  • new an confused
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
I must b goin through a mad phase pardon the expression but i went to waterstones they didnt have much selection so i tried amazon an ther is loads on sh. Am startin to read a book called impulse an its pretty good upto now. Healing the hurt within is good but really hard to get into x
The walkin wounded

Offline lh293

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
I read 'Bright Red Scream' and found it was good, and as a research piece very informative. The case studies were varied and relateable. The only aspect I didn't like so much was that the author seems to generalise self harming as a behaviour which usually has roots in sexual abuse which I don't agree with. Just in that, I wasn't abused and I harm. Not really a self help book at all, and can have triggering content, but very informative like I said, and made me rethink some of my own behaviours from a sociological context.

Have just ordered some more books from Amazon :)
The not so fun bit is hiding them round my flat so the boyfriend doesn't find them!

Offline lh293

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
Update: Got (and read) Cutting It Out today. Is absolutely brilliant, would totally recommend. I've never heard anyone else talk about what I call 'my saviour syndrome' (what I've ended up attributing to counsellors before) so it was really reassuring to know someone, somewhere has felt this too. Seriously, a must-read.

Offline lh293

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »
Hey,

Just want to recommend 'Skin Game' by Caroline Kettlewell, especially for people like me who don't feel like they have a 'reason' to assign to their s/h which is easy to define, and for people who don't feel 'worthy' of labels like 'depressed' etc.

I found it quite triggering in some places though. But I related to the author in a way I've never related to any book before, to the extent where I wondered if the book could be about me! Really encouraging to people who think they can't get better, though it doesn't have that typical (and in my opinion, patronising) 'aspirational' stage of recovery at the end.

Hope this helps someone. x