Author Topic: Coming off Citalopram  (Read 6737 times)

Offline bassists_kick_ass

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • >{Jenny}<
Coming off Citalopram
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was put on Citalopram just after Christmas because I've never been really happy and because I was majorly stressed on my PGCE course. However, they made me really tired, unmotivated and lethargic, and my libido completely disappeared. I've just started taking 3/4 the dose from this morning and have my next GP appointment on Tuesday. Just wanted to see what other people's experiences were really, of being on Citalopram and of coming off, and if you have any advice?

Jenny xxx

Offline Lwona

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • Haven Cow
Re: Coming off Citalopram
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
Hiya, I've recently just come off Citalopram after taking it for a long time and I really struggled with the withdrawals I had from them, even when slowly decreasing the dose. The main symptom I had was rather nasty headaches and shakes. If you have trouble with withdrawals, it would probably help to mention this to the GP and suggest decreasing the dose by even smaller amounts.

Hope the GP goes well :hug1: xx
< Buzz ;D
:piano: < Little Red Dude
*cat* < Ruby ;D

Offline Mio

• First posts
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »
I've come off Citalopram a couple of times now, and back on them now.

The biggest thing I found is take it slow. It shouldn't be too bad as it's been a couple of months - I was on quite a heavy use for a couple of years before coming off. It was a staged withdrawal, going to 3/4 of the dose as you mention for about 4 months, then 3/4 of that dose, etc. I had it in liquid form for a while, due to an operation, which also made it easier to measure the dosage (because breaking up a tablet into 3 pieces is practically impossible, and very messy *lol*) Definitely worth asking the GP what they recommend :-)

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • >{Jenny}<
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
The doctor didn't mention liquid form, she suggested take the small dose every other day for a few days, then every 3 days then every 4 days. So I was planning on taking every other day, but have left it 2 days and don't really fancy putting that stuff back in my body tbh. I was dizzy 3 days ago but that's stopped now. I'm thinking I'll be ok if I just stop? xxx

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • >{Jenny}<
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
Heya. So I haven't taken the citalopram for 5 days now. The dizziness seems to have mostly gone but at least once a day I have a breakdown and feel like I'm hurting so badly and can't stop crying. Have read that withdrawal lasts 1-7 weeks so keep telling myself that this won't last forever. It's pretty tough though :/ xxx

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • >{Jenny}<
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »
Can't stop crying and panicking :( xxx

Offline secret past

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:27:03 PM »
Maybe you shouldn't just go cold turkey hun. Your body will need time to adjust so take it slowly. See your GP again if you're worried. Or talk about how you're feeling on here. :)