Author Topic: PhD research project: adults with Asperger's syndrome/ High-Functioning Autism  (Read 6158 times)

Offline dema

• 18+
  • Usually here
*This research project has been approved by Admin*

Hi, my name is Donna and I’m a PhD researcher at the University of Sussex. I became interested in the experiences of adults with Asperger’s syndrome (AS) a few years ago while doing some voluntary work with a local support group. Since then I have worked as a research assistant on a large government funded project investigating the needs of adults with autistic spectrum conditions (ASC) in the UK, and I am now conducting my own research into the experiences of adults who come to identify as having AS for my PhD thesis. For further information about me: www.sussex.ac.uk/profiles/201129

In my research, which has the working title: ‘Identities of Asperger’s syndrome in the Age of Inclusivity: Prospective and Retrospective Narratives of Diagnosis’, I am trying to identify how adults who have never been diagnosed as having any other developmental condition come to identify as having AS, why they choose to seek or not to seek a diagnosis, and how they experience coming to live with a diagnosis, if they do. I am keen that this research will be influenced as much as possible by the voices of adults with AS, and I will combine this with some theoretical consideration in my thesis.

I am posting today, therefore, to ask if anyone would be interested in participating in my research by sharing their own experiences. I am looking for willing volunteers who have come to identify as having AS (or a similar ASC) as an adults (i.e. aged 18+) and who had not previously been diagnosed as having any form of developmental condition or generalised learning disability (specific learning difficulties, such as dyslexia are fine). Participation will involve completing a short survey and taking part in an interview. You can choose to be interviewed via Skype, e-mail, MSN or potentially telephone, and with the exception of e-mails, interviews will last around one hour. Participation is entirely voluntary, you will be able to withdraw or stop participating at any time and any reference to what you share in conference presentations, journal articles and my thesis will be entirely anonymous.

This research has been ethically approved by the University of Sussex Ethics Committee and is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).
If you think you might like to take part in this research, or, if you would like further information, please do contact me: [email protected]

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider this invitation.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:54:18 AM by Rob »