Author Topic: Anon Thread - drinking questions - any answers?  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Anon Thread - drinking questions - any answers?
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »
Anon post:

"I need advice on a rather serious but unusual problem.
I have a major drinking problem and by that I don't mean alcoholism, I mean I hardly ever drink fluids of any sort. I've tried loads of different techniques to get myself to drink i.e. always having a drink at hand, getting people to remind/encourage me to drink, forcing myself to drink etc. and nothing works. Drinking even small amount makes me feel physically sick but I think it's psychological and that a lot of it is down to my self-destructive behaviours (I know not drinking is damaging my body and I kinda like it, although I know damaged kidneys etc. is no bundle of laughs). Sorry I know how stupid this sounds.

Does anyone have any other ideas I could try? I would mention it to a professional but I don't know who would listen and take it seriously, it's not a case of not drinking I think it's more psychological! I am so confused and at a loss, it's been going on months (maybe even years) and I seem to be alone with it. Sorry for a pathetic post, any help/advice would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!"

Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
Re: Anon Thread - drinking questions - any answers?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
Why not start there in explaining that you feel it is psychological, if talking to a professional?

Is it an anxiety thing? When did it start?

Amongst other things

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »
Do you like ice cubes?
If you do, maybe sucking or crunching them would help.

I think talking to a dr may help.

Offline miss

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »
Do you like ice cubes?
If you do, maybe sucking or crunching them would help.

I think talking to a dr may help.
+1, exactly what I was going to suggest! Maybe a little ice pop can get some fluids in?
Things are getting worse but I feel a lot better
And that's all that really matters to me
-Counting Crows

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »
Response from Anon:

'Thank you for all your replies!

The problem has gone on Months (possibly years). I try eating ice and foods with high water content to try and help but I still only drink about a day's worth of fluids in a week. I have issues with food too and it's not so much to lose weight (although that is a HUGE bonus) it's more of a control thing and the need to damage my body as much as possible. I drink about 500ml a day (on a VERY good day), consuming even just a small fluids makes me feel uneasy and uncomfortable and sometimes I need to purge just because I've drank 'too much'

Sorry if I'm not making much sense...I know it sounds stupid and I know people are probably thinking that I'm making a big deal out of nothing.
Sorry!'
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline miss

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »
dont apologize. If anyone is going to 'get it' its here.
Sounds like your doing what you can amd you know the consequences already but batteling with yourself so tricking yourself into getting more fluid is only one part of the battle. I hope you find a way to win.  :hug1:
Things are getting worse but I feel a lot better
And that's all that really matters to me
-Counting Crows

Offline Hash

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Freedom is reachable
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »

Are you getting any therapeutic input at the moment.

I would say starting at the root of the problem, tackling the Why's Whats and Wherefore's of why you do not want to drink and eat.

Have you had any kidney problems as a result?

Hash