Author Topic: Books that you have found to help  (Read 102994 times)

Offline Talina

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
Re: Books that you have found to help
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
I read 'The Memory Bird' by Caroline Malone & others.

It has it's roots in s/a but even if this isn't someones reason to s/h the words & poems of those who use s/h to survive life are very touching.

I don't feel so alone when I read this book.

Been around for a while but I just checked & Amazon have it.

Offline scarlet ibis

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2014, 01:01:36 AM »
"Cutting It Out" by Carolyn Smith. I found this story based on real life experience of sh really easy to read and heartfelt. It is emotive, quirky and endearing and you really empathise for the main character and her battle with sh.
[/quote]

Just purchased this one, keep you posted.
It's a sad man my friend who's livin ' in his own skin
And can't stand the company

Offline Hullie

• First posts
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2015, 04:11:52 PM »
I recently read "phone at nine just to say you're alive" by Linda Hart. And could relate to some of the things in her book . However if you're a survivor of the Mental Health System there are countless reference books out there to choose from although haven't come across many on self-harm.Until I started reading some of your posts that is , Thanks .
Stevie d***.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2016, 05:47:43 PM »
Im obsessed with Elena Vanishing by Elena and Clare Dunkle - it's largely about anorexia but there is discussion of depression and self harm in it too. Ive read it three times through back to back. It's a true story about Elenas descent into anorexia following being raped. Her mum Clare is a children's author and she helped to write the book. Clare later wrote a book called Hope and Other Luxaries, which is amazing and tells her side of the story and her experience of what Elena went through. Elenas older sister Valerie also suffered with depression and self harm, and this is discussed in both books.
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2019, 01:14:13 AM »
Reasons to stay alive - Matt Haig
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline icicle

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2019, 03:03:24 PM »
Rose, N. (2019), 'Our Psychiatric Future', Cambridge: Polity Press. Written by a professor of Sociology, who discusses: What a mental disorder is, possible causes (with an emphasis on social adversity), Psychopharmacology and suggestions for the future. NSHN is mentioned on p 158. Personally, I have found learning about sociological explanations for mental distress, to be helpful.

Offline icicle

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2020, 10:56:16 AM »
Attwood, T. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome (2007). The most helpful book that I have read about Asperger's Syndrome, so far.