Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 :maytrigger:

As a male survivor of sexual abuse at the age of 15, that abuse caught up with me in my late 30s/40s and I began to have risky casual sex that ended up getting me repeatedly involved in high risk sexual activity that used recreational drugs and unprotected sex. In 2014, that chaotic behaviour left me diagnosed hiv+ve. 

10 years after that diagnosis,  I’m going through counselling to learn that what I did wasn’t wrong, it was just my coping strategy at the time for all the pain that ate at my core that I didn’t know how to process.

I’m now in a much safer and better place and so grateful to be here today.

It doesn’t matter how you self-harm, cutting oneself or biologically self-harming oneself, I believe we share a similar pain.

Whatever you’re going through and whatever your method, please believe you’re not alone and there’s love and light in the tunnel ahead.

Glenn x

Survivor Room / Baby loss certificates *Trigger Baby loss*
« Last post by Axia on March 13, 2024, 06:10:22 PM »
Hi. I'm not sure if this is in the correct room but I just wanted to share that if anyone has lost a baby for any reason under 24 weeks gestation there are now baby loss certificates you can get from gov.uk if you live in England and lost your baby on or after 1st September 2018.

I lost my angel in 2020 and I have a memory box for him and the baby loss certificate, which is official but not legal has helped a little bit. If it could help you or anyone you know, it is there.

Take care  :1027:
Survivor Room / Re: If there was a cure for autism...
« Last post by Gerard on December 28, 2023, 04:02:28 PM »
Waiting on these to arrive. My friend and sister swear by them. https://www.loopearplugs.com/
Research Topics / Re: Christmas / New Year and Self-harm
« Last post by exploringSH on December 26, 2023, 05:46:53 AM »
Hey everyone,
I hope you had a merry christmas.  :xmastree:
How did it go? I understand it can be a stressful time for those struggling with mental health issues, and I would still be interested in hearing from you.

Ideas of things you could talk about, although feel free to talk about whatever aspect you wish:

• Were you looking forward to Christmas / the festive season, or were you nervous about it?
  • Did Christmas end up being as you had expected it?
  • Did you spend Christmas with your family or friends? If so, did it make you feel closer? Feeling more supported?
  • Did you notice an influence on your self-injury during the festive season?
  • Did you take any preventive measures to protect your mental health during the festive season, like self-care for example?

Take care,
Nina
« Last post by Gerard on December 22, 2023, 04:09:09 PM »
Current struggles.

Taking naps, I feel I need these as I don't sleep well, in general. I think they're mostly a weekend issue as I often feel very tired around 1pm
Managing emails, signing up for things/volunteering
Pursing job applications, deciding to apply
Tidying my room as a matter of routine
Hoovering - need to do it more.
Yoga and other activities to support running e.g. foam rolling, resistance bands
Maintaining my running log (this is a written thing, I don't have Strava)
Watching Disney/Apple TV
Reading for leisure - I pretty much don't do this
Closing endless tabs on my browser

The survey will close on 12/31-- last chance to fill it out! :)
Research Topics / Christmas / New Year and Self-harm
« Last post by exploringSH on December 18, 2023, 08:23:43 PM »
Hey,

I'm writing an article about self-injury during Christmas / New Year for a website I run about self-harm, and I would like to hear anyone's personal experience(s), as it has more meaning and depth than statistics.

How do you tackle the holiday season? Does it have an influence on your self-harm behavior? Everyone is different, and there is no single answer. :xmastree:

I'd like to include some testimonies in my article, so please feel free to send me a dm if you'd prefer to share anonymously, or you can reply on this thread. Of course, no testimony will be used without consent. You can also give me a fictional name if you'd like to be quoted, along with the gender you identify with and your (approximate) age.

Thank you and have a nice day!
« Last post by Vermilion on December 15, 2023, 10:24:24 PM »
Sensory problems are exacerbated this time of year, too many flashing lights. Plus, my usual routines are messed up due to the break. And the shopping is a PITA, especially with delivery slots filling up. Roll.on January!

Also, driving is hard when one is as uncoordinated as I am, (I seriously have trouble figuring out left and right) and get anxiety that's so bad that I sometimes cry during lessons. Yes, I am indeed having driving lessons at age 36!

I'm so overwhelmed nowadays; I have uni work, driving lessons, trying to get back in to work again... it's made anxiety so bad that I get upset at the thought of doing even my hobbies that I love, or at least used to love, an I'm seriously considering quitting them all because I'm not enjoying them anymore, they're just causing anxiety. Still, I have no choice but to drive since the bus service is crap and I frequently get sensory overload if its too crowded. So, I must continue with the horrendously stressful and meltdown inducing driving lessons. Oh, and I pay £40 an hour for it!

So, what do I do? I procrastinate! I fell behind with my uni schedule by about 4 weeks and barely manged my assignment on time. I hate procrastination because it only makes things worse but I can't seem to stop doing it.

I'd love a properly functioning brain!  :banghead:

Survivor Room / Re: Is this bad, can it be fixed
« Last post by lloud on December 15, 2023, 05:24:32 PM »
I'm no expert, but tingling sounds like something worth checking with a doc. They've seen it all, seriously. Better to address it early than let it linger. And don't stress too much about the GP.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10