Author Topic: BCG question *bit gross, sorry!*  (Read 7288 times)

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
BCG question *bit gross, sorry!*
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »
Not really SH related but those that have had your BCG...do you remember how long it took to heal?

I had mine about 6 weeks ago (if my memory serves me right) and tonight I caught my arm on a wall. It has literally exploded in the most disgusting way. There was a lot of pus and now it's just weeping and weeping blood/pus. Now I know that's not necessarily "normal" in that most people aren't clumsy idiots like I am but still ::-\:

I remember being told not to cover it up but I can't exactly leave it as it is. I don't know what to do...

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: BCG question *bit gross, sorry!*
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
There's often some discharge and pus - this is apparently ok. You can put a dry dressing loosely if the discharge is affecting clothing, but make sure that as much air can circulate as possible. No creams or antiseptics!

If you're agitated, talk to wherever you got the vaccine.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Tallulah

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »
Thanks Rob. I think I'm more bemused than anything. It looked pretty much healed, just a little scar as I was expecting and now it's worse than it was when I first had it done! Will chat to work when I go back on Weds. :cake:

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 11:47:16 PM »
Mine took ages to heal and has left a delightful scar, though not as bad as my Dads one was.

I dont know if its the way Im reading it but it sounds like there was a LOT of pus/discharge, personally I would get it checked out sooner rather than later- maybe pop into the WIC or see if your GPs nurse can have a look. Most likely its all normal but still, better to get it checked if youre at all unsure, specially considering other health issues.

Offline danceforabeat

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:37:49 PM »
It was about 15 years ago, but I remember mine exploding with pus and blood (ewww!) I think it's the only immunisation where that happens, but I think it's quite common.

You can get it checked out to be on the safe side, but I think it's normal. I'd just put a dressing on it and be careful about knocking it whilst it's healing.

Hope it heals up soon!

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
Yep mine was full of puss to. I have a scar from it to. I agree with the others just dress it if it is leaking stuff. You could also use TCP or surgical spirit or detox antiseptic... But be warned they all sting.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”