Author Topic: Bit of reassurance needed  (Read 4591 times)

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
Bit of reassurance needed
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »
Hi, so after many years of different types of therapy on the NHS, I've recently began to see a therapist privately. Although I picked up a lot of ideas and coping strategies from therapists in the past I feel that I wasn't in a place to fully engage with the therapy.

This time though it feels different. I met a few therapists before I chose the one I'm currently seeing and something about her seemed 'right' in that first meeting. I feel like I'm being more open and honest with her than I have ever been in the past. And here's where I need the reassurance...

I would have always considered myself as someone who keeps their emotions inside. However since I've started seeing her I feel like I've got all these emotions coming out or wanting to. To the point where I'm sometimes feeling overwhelmed. She's given me an exercise to do for next week's session and when I got home and read it I cried. I then made a start on it and cried some more.

So do you take this as a positive sign that something is working? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks x

Offline is_it_true

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: Bit of reassurance needed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:31:53 AM »
Ive not experienced this myself so pleased that you have reached this point! :creature:
its refreshing to read, well done.....a lot of hard work from you!
 :1059:

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:45 AM »
Thanks is_it_true, your reply meant a lot. I think I am taking it as a good sign  :)

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:05:14 AM »
Sounds like a good sign to me but make sure you talk to your therapist about it next session. Well done for opening up. It is hard. X x

Offline Vermilion

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »
I think it's a good thing. Instead of bottling things up you are finally letting them out. I have come from many a psyche visit in the past bawling my eyes out, but it's the only way to heal. Good luck.
Rabbits are better than people

Offline Olivia

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies. For the first time in many years of therapy I really feel like I'm making progress. It's hard fighting against the negative way I view myself, but for the first time in ages I'm allowing myself to see some positives in myself as well  :)

Offline behindthewall

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:46:13 PM »
That's brilliant! I'm really pleased for you. I know from my own experience how hard it is to change how you think and feel about yourself so well done for that and I hope it continues. X x

Offline Gerard

• Administrator
  • Always here
  • Grumpologist
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
My current therapist said I'm a very self-contained person. I don't show much emotion in the sessions, or really in real life. This is not to say we don't have detailed conversations or sometimes use humour, we do. I find her very open minded and collaborative to some I've seen before, though they were trainees. I don't like all of her suggestions and she is happy to hear that and not take it personally. It is a very subjective thing, but having a good 'connection' with a therapist makes for therapeutic good work, I find.

Amongst other things

Offline pink fox

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 04:50:31 PM »
If you're someone who finds it hard to share their emotions, then it's definitely a good thing. I can relate. By letting yourself be open and less guarded, this will help you explore your issues more freely. Can only be a good thing in therapy!

PF xxx
Everybody says it's just another decay of the soul, but I know, I'm hopeless.

Pink Fox >> *cat*
  ;D