NSHN Forum Support & On Topic Forums. Some additional boards are viewable to members only > Survivor Room

Books that you have found to help

<< < (16/18) > >>

billy:
i found the book cutting it out very help full and it lovely to ready.

but the book self hearm i didnt find helpfull at all i though i was just used to show how badly a number of people were treated but profeshnals i didnt find anything postive form it at all

lpoolluvly:
I must b goin through a mad phase pardon the expression but i went to waterstones they didnt have much selection so i tried amazon an ther is loads on sh. Am startin to read a book called impulse an its pretty good upto now. Healing the hurt within is good but really hard to get into x

lh293:
I read 'Bright Red Scream' and found it was good, and as a research piece very informative. The case studies were varied and relateable. The only aspect I didn't like so much was that the author seems to generalise self harming as a behaviour which usually has roots in sexual abuse which I don't agree with. Just in that, I wasn't abused and I harm. Not really a self help book at all, and can have triggering content, but very informative like I said, and made me rethink some of my own behaviours from a sociological context.

Have just ordered some more books from Amazon :)
The not so fun bit is hiding them round my flat so the boyfriend doesn't find them!

lh293:
Update: Got (and read) Cutting It Out today. Is absolutely brilliant, would totally recommend. I've never heard anyone else talk about what I call 'my saviour syndrome' (what I've ended up attributing to counsellors before) so it was really reassuring to know someone, somewhere has felt this too. Seriously, a must-read.

lh293:
Hey,

Just want to recommend 'Skin Game' by Caroline Kettlewell, especially for people like me who don't feel like they have a 'reason' to assign to their s/h which is easy to define, and for people who don't feel 'worthy' of labels like 'depressed' etc.

I found it quite triggering in some places though. But I related to the author in a way I've never related to any book before, to the extent where I wondered if the book could be about me! Really encouraging to people who think they can't get better, though it doesn't have that typical (and in my opinion, patronising) 'aspirational' stage of recovery at the end.

Hope this helps someone. x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version