Author Topic: Venlafaxine Advice  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Lwona

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • Haven Cow
Venlafaxine Advice
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:43:53 PM »
Hiya, I hope these style posts are still allowed and is okay in this room. Please move/delete if it's wrong x

I've recently been put on to Venlafaxine (general, not a specific release rate) at a fairly low dose, but twice a day. I just wondered what other members experiences were with it? At the moment I'm noticing a lot of quick mood changes, but I haven't been on the Venlafaxine for long at all, so I'm hoping it's just due to it getting in to my system. I've also had quite a lot of headaches, but again mainly hoping it's due to adjustment.

I've been prescribed the Venlafaxine and told I should take them with food. I'm very forgetful so I'm finding it difficult to remember the morning/earlier dose, as I don't eat breakfast I need to take it with lunch. I don't see my psych for about a month, so in the meantime does anyone know if you can take both doses at the same time? Or do they have to be separated? It would be much easier if I could take them both at the same time, but realistically I know I just need to improve my memory :frying pan: ::)

Thanks xx
< Buzz ;D
:piano: < Little Red Dude
*cat* < Ruby ;D

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: Venlafaxine Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »
Hey  :)

There should be a Patient Information Sheet with your Venlafaxine, which should answer your question. As a general rule, twice a day dosages shouldn't be taken at the same time. Venlafaxine has quite a short half life, so if you've been prescribed it as twice daily, it means just that.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Lwona

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • Haven Cow
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
Thanks Rob, I've just had a new box so I'll check the leaflet.
< Buzz ;D
*cat* < Ruby ;D

Offline hidden tears

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:51:06 PM »
Hi

I've taken venlafaxine for several years now. At first I had a lot of headaches and felt quite nauseous and incredibly tired.......though how much of that was symptoms and how much side effects I don't know! All those resolved. The one thing I still have issues with is feeling dizzy when I stand up to quick, though that's not as bad as when I first started it.

It is better to take with food, but I was told (when I was struggling to eat) that a glass of milk was ok. Would you be able to do that?
The normal ones do need to be taken twice a day, as Rob said, in order to maintain levels of them in your system. There is a slow release/modified release version though that you only take once a day (until you get to really high doses) so it might be worth asking about if your struggling to remember.
I've found it quite effective, though over time I've built up resistance so they've had to keep upping the dose. 
*I lock away the pain and put away my fears, show you only my smiles and not my hidden tears *

*I like walking in the rain because no one knows Im crying*

Behind the mask....a silent scream....a hidden tear

Offline Lwona

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • Haven Cow
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply :)

I have been worried about the headaches I've been having, I've had to stop previous medication due to headaches so I hope they also resolve.

A glass of milk is an option, thanks :)

I'm starting to get better at remembering. I have a few spare tablets so I'm going to keep them in my bag/purse etc so if I do forget to bring one I should have a spare available.

xx
< Buzz ;D
*cat* < Ruby ;D

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:13:20 PM »
Carrying spares is a good idea. Once you get into the routine of taking tablets in the morning it becomes second nature. Could you set an alarm or reminder on your phone/laptop etc or put a note somewhere? I always make sure I have my meds out somewhere I will see them when I wake up and if I stay anywhere away from home the first thing I do is get them out and put them somewhere in sight.
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x

Offline Lwona

• 18+
  • Usually here
    • Haven Cow
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
Thanks, I have set some reminders on my phone that won't dismiss until I tell them too and now have spares dotted around. Hopefully that will help a lot :) xx
< Buzz ;D
*cat* < Ruby ;D

Offline Ollie

• First posts
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 04:12:31 PM »
I've been on a high dose of that med for a number of years now and have to take it once a day. Tried to get dose lowered about a month ago but my psychiatrist didn't think it was a good idea and said 'no' to me. Sometimes I do wonder if it actually does help but when I forget to take them, I know that they do! Just got a new supply today and label on my dosage says to 'take with or after food or a meal.' Oops! :sb:  Have never noticed that before!  :banghead: