Author Topic: Travel health insurance.  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
Travel health insurance.
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
Is it difficult to get travel health insurance if you've got a pre-existing MH condition? I'm guessing it would be more expensive if the MH condition was included in the cover. Is it possible to get insurance without the cover for MH? Like, telling them about it, but accepting that they won't insure that part of things? I'm only going for 7 days and it's unlikely that I'll become unwell that quickly (providing I'm tip top before we go), so I don't think it would be necessary. I'm guessing I'll have to phone up a few places; I was just wondering what people's experiences are? :)
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline riot-grrrl

• 18+
  • Always here
  • Live Through This
Re: Travel health insurance.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »
I really don't know what to advise love, but for what its worth, in the past when i have got insurance I havn't mentioned the MH stuff and noone has asked about it. The travel agent just sort of included it in the package and didn't really ask many questions. That's probably not very helpfull, so hopefully someone else will reply who has a bit more info than me!

Holidays are exciting though, where are you going?! xxx
"No, I regret nothing, all I regret is having been born, dying is such a long tiresome business I always found."

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:49:20 AM »
you do need to state it or else your whole cover can be invalidated if they find out later - even if the claim you made isn't relating to mental health. This usually just means having to get quotes on the phone rather than online, as it definitely counts as a preexisting condition you need to declare, but the questions they ask don't take long, and it isn't that much extra hassle. Unless you are seeming extremely high risk in terms of their calculations what they will usually offer after this, if you've replied yes to some of their key mh questions (they usually ask about diagnoses, admissions in the last year and before that, and whether you are currently seeing a professional about mh), is insurance excluding anything related to mh. If you're travelling to the US you also need to consider how you'll answer the mh questions on the visa waiver ESTA form (unless you have US passport or visa). Have a great holiday :)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »
Thank you both. :)

I thought I might have to declare it; I wouldn't want to invalidate any cover. I don't think I'm high risk - I haven't been in hospital since September 2011 and I'm no longer under the CMHT (well, kind of - I can contact a social worker, but don't have regular appointments and my GP sorts medication). The admission in that September was involuntary though, which I suppose could be an issue.

I'm travelling to Gran Caneria, so not the US or anywhere that requires a visa (as far as I'm aware!)

I am excited, RG! ;D I'm going with two friends. My friend forwarded some pictures of where we're staying today and it looks AWESOME. ;D
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline mbwa

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »
I've had a lot of previous involuntary admissions and got insurance without a problem so hopefully won't be an issue for you either. They didn't want to know numbers of admissions, just whether they were in the last year and also whether any previous. The involuntary admissions can be more of an issue for US travel with the ESTA, but can still be possible. If you have probles finding cover pm me and will send you details of the company who I have my insurance with. Have an awesome holiday :)

Offline millie

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:23:53 AM »
My mum has travel insurance with her bank and it covers her MH issues (which are complex and severe) but not her asthma - which is well controlled and she has never been admitted for!!!  So think most policies should cover it, but of course always check so you don't invalidate the policy.

I always declare everything, including migraines, as had more treatment for them than anything else!!

Have a wonderful holiday :-)