Author Topic: Tiredness  (Read 6340 times)

Offline P

• 18+
  • Silver Member
Tiredness
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »
Hi all
Sorry for posting out of the blue for advice. I used to be a member quite a while ago but since registering again I have just been lurking.

Towards the end of last year I had a bit of a blip and really wasn't doing well.  My GP suggested I try citalopram, which I have now been taking since the beginning of November.  Before I started taking it I was having a lot of trouble sleeping, barely managing 4 broken hours a night.  Over the last couple of months, in myself I have been feeling ok- at least better than before, but I am so tired and lethargic all the time.  Enough sleep for me used to be 7-8 hours and that would be fine.  Now if I don't set an alarm I can sleep for 15 hours or more and I still don't feel properly rested.  I'm finding it frustrating because I don't really have time to spend so much of a day asleep and if I force myself to get up after 8hours I feel like a zombie.

I have been trying to ride it out as I know sometimes side effects can take a while to settle, but I think it's past that now.  I have made an appointment to discuss this with my GP but I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience, or can share any advice on how to tackle this?
Thanks for reading - sorry it got a bit long!
P

Offline Skye

• 18+
  • Always here
Re: Tiredness
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »
Hey  :wave:
You are right it could just be getting used to side effects but it may be sth else, this time last year I felt similar to how you describe and blood tests showed coeliac disease. When do you see your gp hon?

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
what about doing lots of exercise that would increase your energy and that way you won't feel that sleepy feeling and plus it will help with your mood
RIP Night Owl
RIP Nanny Pat (I miss you)

Offline P

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:52:10 PM »
Thanks both for your replies.

Skye - the appointment isn't until next Friday, as it was the earliest one that I could get with my GP.

Angeldevil123- thanks for the suggestion.  I'm still forcing myself to do a reasonable amount of exercise even though I don't feel like it, and cooking up and freezing big batches of meals at the weekends so I can eat healthily with minimal effort during the week, but it just doesn't seem to make any difference like it would normally.

It's not something I've experienced before, this continual lethargy and tiredness. I'm finding it especially hard because I am studying a practical course which means spending part of the week on placement and then some study days. I have a lot of work to be getting done but on my study days when I don't have to be somewhere, fighting the urge to nap is a massive struggle.  Today I forced myself to get up at a reasonable time after about 8 hours sleep but after lunch I was getting nowhere with the studying because I felt so tired. I (stupidly) allowed myself to nap, then slept through my alarm - ending up having a 5 hour nap. I'm sure this all makes me sound horribly lazy.  I'm at my wits' end because it's not like me at all and to be honest I feel disgusted at how much I am sleeping.

Offline bassists_kick_ass

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • >{Jenny}<
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »
Hi, I've just posted about Citalopram too! It's making me incredibly tired, lethargic and unmotivated, and I've decided to come off it after 4 weeks - I felt like it was making me even more unproductive than having anxiety (which it has barely helped with). I hope you find something that works better for you xxx

Offline P

• 18+
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
I hope coming off it goes ok for your bassists_kick_ass.

I was supposed to see the GP this morning but I couldn't face it, so I cancelled the appointment. I don't even know why I did that. Not facing up to the problem isn't going to make it go away but I just want to hide