Author Topic: What are your coping methods?  (Read 8645 times)

Offline unheard-scream

• First posts
What are your coping methods?
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
 :trig:
How do you guys cope with the urges?

I'm finding it hard, I'm over 110 days self harm free but the way I cope isn't working anymore . . . . help

the unheard scream  :rose:

Offline Jacqui

• 18+
  • Bronze Member
    • Jac's Junk Room
Re: What are your coping methods?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »
I watch one of my 500 DVDs. I go on my computer and use a chat site. I have a nice hot bubble bath.
I try not to put myself under any pressure not to self harm. If I do self harm I don't see it as a failure, just a blip and I try again. Till one day you realise its been a week or a month or a year since you last self harmed.
The thing with distractions is you have to find out what works for you as other peoples distractions may not necessarily work.
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't really out to get you.

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:13:19 AM »
Going for a walk and walking as fast as I could until the anger went away really use to help me.
One that often helps me now is to draw on my arm with a red biro, pressing hard enough to feel it but not enough to actually break the skin.
Playing games on the internet.
Looking up and reading funny jokes.
As Jacqui said, different methods work for different people. Have you tried looking through the distraction thread to see if there is anything there that you think might be worth trying/would work for you?

Offline unheard-scream

• First posts
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
Yea I have tried a few techniques. They just seem to stop working after a while :/

I really want to give up self harm for good. I'm only 18 I want to live to be 80 and not have this hanging over me

Offline nosda

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »
If you focus on stopping forever it will make things harder, but if you focus on not doing it for a day, a week,etc, then after time you will probably find it easier, and discover that time has gone by without harming quicker than you realised.

Offline angeldevil123

• ---- o18s
  • Usually here
    • My world in a blog
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
Distraction is very trial and error you have gotta find what works for you, what works for you one day may not work another due whatever reasons. i find using my compuer helps me a lot and blogging, but never watch day time tv rubbish if that helps. of course if you want something mindless then watch it but without thinking you may sh.
always keep your brain occupied.
RIP Night Owl
RIP Nanny Pat (I miss you)

Offline Hysteria

• 18+
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
I use  my laptop  alot    and when I am  ok  I read  one of my many books   but my pet bird  provides plenty of distraction
Thread killer ¯\(°_o)/¯

Offline unheard-scream

• First posts
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »
Thanks guys  ;D

:1011:

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »
Distractions don't really work for me i'm working on the reasons i SH dealing with the problem not the symptom would it help you to do the same? Its hard  :1059: keep going
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline unheard-scream

• First posts
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »
I guess it could Tigger.  :hug2: