Author Topic: rubbish week now very lost and confused!  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
rubbish week now very lost and confused!
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
 :hide:

Ended up in A&E on Wednesday after my face and arm went numb. Was seen by the stroke nurse in A&E and she did lots of tests then said that she can't diagnose a stroke or order a CT scan, so I needed to see a consultant so they could order the CT and confirm a stroke. Which thoroughly freaked me out (I'm only 24!). Saw the consultant who did more tests and said that it was all caused by a muscle in my arm that had contracted and wouldn't relax, so not a stroke and no need for a CT but to go to my GP in the morning. So I went and the GP said it wasn't possible for a muscle in my arm to cause numbness in my face, then went on about TIAs and said to call 999 if there was any further symptoms of stroke.

Now I don't know what to think. The numbness has continued and now my arm has a b**ning pain all the way down it.

There is a lot that is stressing me out at the moment, the paramedic clocked the scars and then asked if I'd ever had a panic attack before, but then convinced himself it wasn't that after a few tests.

I have a GP appointment on Friday. I have no idea what to say to them. I will need a sick note for work because I can't work with the dead feeling and pain in my arm. But I've never been tho see that GP before and I am worried that because no one can see it he will think it is in my head or I am making it up. It takes a lot for me to decide not to be at work but I'm not sure how to explain that. I will go to work with any number of stitches because I should regardless of it hurting, but this has stumped me. I can't make it better and I don't know what it is.

The whole thing has really freaked me out it is very difficult to not continually check that I can still do all of the things I should be able to do. I think I would rather they had done the CT scan so I don't continually freak out about it.

I have a psych apt on Tuesday. Have been trying to work out if it is inappropriate to ask his opinion on this at the same time. Has wanted to call him since I left the GP s appointment, but that would be wrong. It's just he has known me a long time and I trust him so...I don't know. We are supposed to be talking about what to do when things get really difficult. It feels important to do that, but stupid not to mention all of this.

I've had a migraine every other day since Tuesday I don't know if they are related or not. I want to talk to my ex about all of this but we have recently had a very long argument about how I always talk to her about things that are bad and we don't get to hang out without that enough. Feels very alone with it all really.
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Usually here
Re: rubbish week now very lost and confused!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
It sounds a bit confusing. What the GP said is probably right, in that an arm muscle contracting isn't going to cause facial numbness. The lengthy contraction isn't a feature of TIAs either, I don't think, TIA effects normally are over within 24hrs, too. Perhaps you needn't worry too much that it was a TIA, but be vigilant as your GP suggested.

I'd mention it to your psych as well as your GP, just in case any of your meds might be involved - it needn't interrupt your session by long, but it'd be sensible to tell him.

Hope all goes well.
Crisis line 0800 1456485. Childline 0800 1111. Samaritans 116 123. Basic First Aid. CALL (MH Helpline Wales) 0800 132737. Mind Cymru 02920395123. Bullying UK. Text help text SHOUT to 85258

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »
I don't take any medication.

The GP ignored what the consultant had said, didn't even look at my arm just went on about TIAs.  It isn't easy not to worry though. I am far less worried than I was but strokes are really common in my Mum's family, every single person that I know on her side that is over 60 has had multiple strokes....but they are ask over 60.

I was fine with what they had said at A&E before I saw the GP.

Just don't know how to explain to them what has been happening without them going back to that all the time
“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Offline Lorien

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »
Been back to the GP. He thinks it's migraine related and has prescribed amitriptyline.

I am really worried by all of the sui warnings. I've not been registered there long and he didn't even know I only have a 7 day prescription maximum.

Anyone had it to treat migraines before? Anyone had any side effects on it?

So look glad I have a psych apt tomorrow!

Offline Sian-May

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:53:01 PM »
Your new surgery might not have it on your homescreen about you only having 7 day scripts - the alerts are usually removed when you're deducted and the decision lies with individual Practices. 

I've been on Amitriptyline in the past for bladder problems. It's a very common drug these days. I suffered from almost every side effect on the information sheet but I know plenty of people who have/are taking it and had no problems at all.

I hope it works for you without any nasty side effects x
Last SH: 05.01.2016
Last purge: 16.09.13
Last OD: 30.05.15

Well done Super Sian! :superman: x x