NSHN Forum Support & On Topic Forums. Some additional boards are viewable to members only > Survivor Room

Books that you have found to help

<< < (2/18) > >>

laura81:
Sunbathing in the rain x

purplefiona:
Sunbathing in the rain is a BRILLIANT book. Its by Gwyneth Lewis and its http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunbathing-Rain-Gwyneth-Lewis/dp/0007120621/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/026-6654932-6101215?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191325071&sr=8-2

I also find SARK's books helpful, they have such lovely titles as "eating mangoes naked" :)

most of the standard books are helpful, like the "coping with........" black and white series.

x

icklechick:
"Emotional Intelligence" (can't remember author)

Paradox:
^^ Daniel Goleman. He also wrote one called Destructive Emotions which is a blend of science and buddhism (with contributions from the Delai Lama) - very thought provoking, but not a 'light' read - requires concentration!

I also like They F*** You Up by Oliver James. It's quite controversial in that James argues that most mental health problems are a direct result of environmental factors rather than down to biology. In particular, he pinpoints family relationships as being the main contributing factor in mental disorder - however, it's not a book about 'blaming' other people for our problems. Rather, it's about coming to understand our role in what he calls the 'family drama' and so understanding why we are the way we are, and finally, taking responsibility to change the things we don't like in ourselves. It's not a light read either, but it'll make you think. Even if you firmly believe mental health problems are rooted in biology, you'll find it difficult to argue against the weight of evidence he provides.

Alex:
Get Me Out Of Here - Rachel Reiland - recovery from BPD

One of the only books i have read that is actually hopefull. i read it in two days and refur to it regually. Inspirationaly!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version