NSHN Forum Support & On Topic Forums. Some additional boards are viewable to members only > Survivor Room

Telling an employer about self-harm?

<< < (2/2)

Lorien:
How are you doing?

I am open about most things with work but keep any acknowledgement of self harm to absolutely need to know people and only if it's really relevant at the time. I only began to do this when an injury meant I couldn't work for a couple of months. I think most large employers are pretty aware of difficulties people may have but less so with smaller companies - exposure I guess. As far as I know, your employer can't really make there be consequences to where or how you work due to a disclosure like that, unless you both think it would help you to not be at home alone so much.

I would be wary though of explaining the relationship between work and self harm because it might come across badly. Broad strokes are usually best - eg explaining it's more likely if you're very stressed etc.

danceforabeat:
Hi Lorien,

Sorry, I haven’t been here in a few weeks. I managed to not SH for a few weeks, but then I have again today (struggling with work again). I don’t think there’s much I can do though. I know I’m fortunate to be working right now, and I don’t have much choice about working from home right now - I understand why I have to right now. I know the obvious thing would be to look for another job, but that’s much easier said than done - obviously the job market is not great right now and I don’t think I can face job-hunting/applications/potential interviews right now because of my MH. So I’ve just got to get on with it.

sk1n1m1n:
Only tell them what they need to know but keep it vague.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version