Author Topic: Books that you have found to help  (Read 103811 times)

lainey

Books that you have found to help
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:30:44 AM »
Someone mentioned a list about books that have helped people, Please let others know if you have read anything that you have found useful in the road of recovery.

Bloodletting- Victoria leatham

'Victoria leathem takes us to the world of selfharming behaviours, one that can be occupied by princess to poor university students.'*

*Bloodletting victoria Leatham, foreward by professor Gordon Parker, executive director, Black dog institute
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Courage to Heal- Ellen Bass & laura Davis isbn 0-09-188420-9

A guide for women survivors of child sexual Abuse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coping with Anxiety And depression- Shirley Trickett  isbn 0-85969-762-2

Shirley Trickett understands the havoc that depression and anxiety can cause in your life, and how powerless they can make you feel.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self Esteem- Gael Lindenfield isbn 0-7225-4007-8

Simple Steps to Develop Self-worth and Heal Emotional Wounds.

Offline Jess

• NSHN Ontopic Support Moderator
  • Usually here
  • 99.9%
Re: Books that you have found to help
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
'A Bright Red Scream' by Marilee Strong: A research piece which includes real life accounts/experiences of people who SH.

'Prozac Nation' by Elizabeth Wurtzel: Account of the author's fight with depression.

'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath: Novel focusing on Plath's character Esther Greenwood, story is actually about Plath's own fight with depression but is written as a novel rather than autobiographical.

'Wasted' by Marya Hornbacher: Account of author's struggle with Bulimia/Anorexia and her hospitalisation/recovery from ED.

'Alice in the Looking Glass - A mother & daughter's experience of Anorexia' by Alice & Jo Kingsley: Book is separated into 2 parts told from the perspective of Alice (sufferer) and her mum, makes a change to read both 'sides' of the illness.

'Girl, Interrupted' by Susanna Kaysen: Account of kaysen's hospitalisation for BPD.

'The Trick is to Keep Breathing' by Janice Galloway: Short book on Depression, focusing on the characters depression triggered by grief.

Offline pohelia

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • picked all my weeds but kept the flowers
    • it's myspace innit!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »
An Unquiet Mind - Kay Redfield Jamison - one woman's struggle with Manic Depression

More, Now, Again - Elizabeth Wurtzel - sequel to Prozac Nation, covers more of Wurtzel's depression and also her drug habbit which developed from this.

aim for the moon, if you miss, at least you'll land amongst the stars

Offline icklechick

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 07:16:29 PM »
An Unquiet Mind - insight into manic depression

Get Me Out Of Here - Rachel Reiland - recovery from BPD

(I personally don't like Courage to Heal)

But I did like "The Little Prisoner" - Jane Elliott (sexual abuse)
"A dog is the only thing on earth

That loves you more than he loves himself.."

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:27:21 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cutting-Out-Journey-Psychotherapy-Self-harm/dp/1843102668/ref=sr_1_1/026-7377629-2034813?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190658329&sr=1-1

cutting it out, it was written by an ex or current member, i cant remember!

Anyway I read it and thought that my counsellor woud find it useful, a year later, my last session I got it back.

The counselling service has their own copy after they all read it.

laura81

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »
Sunbathing in the rain x

Offline purplefiona

• 18+
  • Gold Member
  • another day
    • Jewellery site
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 12:40:20 PM »
Sunbathing in the rain is a BRILLIANT book. Its by Gwyneth Lewis and its http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunbathing-Rain-Gwyneth-Lewis/dp/0007120621/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/026-6654932-6101215?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191325071&sr=8-2

I also find SARK's books helpful, they have such lovely titles as "eating mangoes naked" :)

most of the standard books are helpful, like the "coping with........" black and white series.

x
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Offline icklechick

• 18+
  • Always here
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 01:32:27 PM »
"Emotional Intelligence" (can't remember author)
"A dog is the only thing on earth

That loves you more than he loves himself.."

Paradox

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 11:39:26 AM »
^^ Daniel Goleman. He also wrote one called Destructive Emotions which is a blend of science and buddhism (with contributions from the Delai Lama) - very thought provoking, but not a 'light' read - requires concentration!

I also like They F*** You Up by Oliver James. It's quite controversial in that James argues that most mental health problems are a direct result of environmental factors rather than down to biology. In particular, he pinpoints family relationships as being the main contributing factor in mental disorder - however, it's not a book about 'blaming' other people for our problems. Rather, it's about coming to understand our role in what he calls the 'family drama' and so understanding why we are the way we are, and finally, taking responsibility to change the things we don't like in ourselves. It's not a light read either, but it'll make you think. Even if you firmly believe mental health problems are rooted in biology, you'll find it difficult to argue against the weight of evidence he provides.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 09:42:02 PM »
Get Me Out Of Here - Rachel Reiland - recovery from BPD

One of the only books i have read that is actually hopefull. i read it in two days and refur to it regually. Inspirationaly!